SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   fuel light (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fuel-light-7189/)

Jetfever 06-09-2005 07:19 PM

fuel light

How do I check/fix my low fuel light?
Thanks as this is my first post.

mykrowsy 07-25-2005 10:58 PM

Re: fuel light

I would make sure that your fuel level sensor isn't bad first. It's probably a float attached to the gas tank somehow. Unclip the wiring harness clip that goes into the gas tank, and manipulate the float by hand or by gravity (turn the tank upside down then back up right again. You'll probably get a short when the float is at the bottom of it's travel. If that switch is working ok, follow the wires as far as you can into the dash or ecu, wherever it goes, and make sure there are no loose connections.

I've never attempted to take apart an instrument panel, but I wouldn't recommend doing so unless you're pretty handy, and take your time to label parts and connectors, and take pictures of how everything should go together. Then if you can even get at the LED in the dash, make sure all connectors are removed from the LED, and apply 3-5 volts to it. A couple of AA batteries taped together end to end with wire pigtails on each end should work.

LEDs only work with correct polarity, so if it doesn't light up the first time, try switching the wires (+and-) and try again. If the LED doesn't light up when connected to the batteries, you could probably just get another high intensity LED from RadioShack and install that. If none of these things solve your problem, I don't know what to tell you. At least you could narrow it down to something, though.

Just a thought, if there is a problem with the wiring or circuitry, and you have an older SuperHawk, (one of the ones with analog gauges and just a fuel light, now actual E|||||||||F type gauge, you could probably just wire up the switch from the fuel tank through a resistor of proper size right to the ignition circuit, and install your own LED.

Jetfever 07-26-2005 06:38 AM

I fixed it. It was a bad sensor. 1998 SuperHawk. I just did not know I fixed it because the new sensor did not turn on the LED. At first! I did not wait long enough because I can't turn off the headlight. I takes more than 40 seconds for the sensor to heat up and turn on the LED. It is cooled by fuel. No explanation in my manual... Sorry you did not see my explanation in another thread here but thank you very much.
Steve

NOrrTH 07-26-2005 11:56 AM

So how did you fix it? My '98 has gone too. I'm suspecting a bad sensor.

BeerHunter 07-26-2005 02:44 PM

Low fuel indicator light does not come on

Disconnect the fuel reserve sensor 2P white connector and short the connector terminals with a jumper wire.
Turn the ignition switch ON on check the low fuel indicator.
If the indicator comes on, replace the fuel reserve sensor.

If the indicator does not come on, check for an open circuit in the brown/black and green wires.

......bla bla bla

Most likey the problem wil be in the sensor mounted inside the tank. All you need to check this is a paper clip, opened up and bent into a "U" shape.

I have been riding my superhawk for 7K miles with a non-functional sensor and have only run out of gas 2 times, the first time being on my very first ride after purchase. Finally decided to get a new one, and the damn things are on backorder right now, so I'll have to wait just a little longer.

NOrrTH 07-26-2005 02:51 PM

Ya, I've been using my odometer and it sucks. 140km and I get gas. Ran out at 160km before.

Jetfever 07-26-2005 06:10 PM

Got my fuel sensor from ryan ayers sp? on line. They have the part fisch and you can call if you have a question. When you check the wires make sure you short the plug wires that go to the frame not the sensor:) and dont forget if you have a 98 like mine to give the new part 45 seconds to warm up when not in fuel in order to turn on the LED.

Red_Liner740 05-04-2009 02:30 PM

Hey! sorry for bumping an old thread but i just wanted to thank Superhawk forums once again!

after my VTR came from the shop guess what the shop handed to me? my fuel sender wires... they "ripped off" when they took the tank off... can you believe the ineptitude of these idiots?

anyways, i just soldered the connections back on as best as i could and my fuel light was always on even with a full tank...i tested the connections and everything was good...

so i'm thinking somehow i got a bad fuel sender when someone on this topic mentioned that the fuel light is an LED! A bright light went off in my head and i realized i most likely reversed the connections on the fuel sender.
a quick swap of the wire clips in the connector under the fue tank and its fixed!

thanks SH forum, u just sawed me 50 bucks for a new sender!

nothing 05-05-2009 05:10 AM

woot woot!

merlyn 05-05-2009 01:30 PM

After 110 miles in my case the led turns on!but if I go with changing the speed at 9000rpm and going 124 miles per hour+ I get 80-90 miles per tank

Circuit_Burner 05-05-2009 06:37 PM

Fuel efficiency suddenly increases after my tires leave the ground though, less drag.

tomzxt 05-13-2011 03:23 PM

After using the search function I found this article. Thank you Beerhunter for helping me to find the cause of my low fuel light not coming on. I was 99% sure it was the float but you helped me confirm it with your short how to write up. Now I have to order one. In the mean time I'll just keep watching the odometer and refuel at 118 miles. That is the furthest I've pushed one tank so far.