SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Fuel filter (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fuel-filter-29976/)

oldboldvtr 03-14-2013 04:26 AM

Fuel filter

Hi all, It may sound like a silly question but where is the fuel filter located on the VTR. Was at Phillip Island on Tuesday and it was playing up a bit and it was suggested it may be staving of fuel so if some one could tell me that would be useful. The Island was magnificant with the new resurfacing of the track.

CrankenFine 03-14-2013 04:36 AM

There's no fuel filter on a stock VTR1000f (at least in the U.S. anyway)
Maybe you should verify petcock function if it acts fuel starved.

Wicky 03-14-2013 05:03 AM

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1999>VTR1000F>FUEL TANK

There's a fuel filter / screen inside the tank. (see part no. 3)

playing up a bit
You'll need to be a bit more descriptive....

7moore7 03-14-2013 08:23 AM

Yeah with this bike it's not likely that the screen is clogged (but not impossible). Petcock is more likely or carbs, more description like Wicky said would help narrow it down.

skokievtr 03-15-2013 04:24 PM

I run 2 Goldwing 1200 fuel filters
don't try to remove the petcock unless you absolutely have to

smokinjoe73 03-15-2013 09:24 PM

Hey oldbold, I saw a superhawk on the philip island WSBK coverage. Lie to me and say it was you. Your almost famous.

And......I thought there were no old/bold riders(?)

oldboldvtr 03-19-2013 03:47 AM

Well I can't lie wasnt me. Dont go to the racing much anymore. I did a track day at the island (March 12) and after first session it was missing and farting on over run out of honda cnr which is about 180 down to about 60-70kph very quickly.
So next run I kept revs down to under 7K and it didnt carry on so much. But dawdleling along the straight at 190kph was crap. Anyway it was better, the tyre mechanic guy said it may be filter. I looked in workshop manual and could find nothing. Last session (we had six) i let fly and it went ok again. So now I dont know. HAs anybody fitted filters. Seems odd not to have any.
What is the Petcock or what does it do ?

Signed almost famous old fart

CrankenFine 03-19-2013 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by oldboldvtr (Post 351002)

It is the vacuum operated fuel valve attached to the fuel tank. If it's function is impaired (ie: causing unreliable or irregular fuel flow) you may experience fuel starved performance similar to a clogged filter.

Tweety 03-19-2013 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by oldboldvtr (Post 351002)
Well I can't lie wasnt me. Dont go to the racing much anymore. I did a track day at the island (March 12) and after first session it was missing and farting on over run out of honda cnr which is about 180 down to about 60-70kph very quickly.
So next run I kept revs down to under 7K and it didnt carry on so much. But dawdleling along the straight at 190kph was crap. Anyway it was better, the tyre mechanic guy said it may be filter. I looked in workshop manual and could find nothing. Last session (we had six) i let fly and it went ok again. So now I dont know. HAs anybody fitted filters. Seems odd not to have any.

Signed almost famous old fart

I'd say either petcock, as suggested already, or that it's a tuning issue... AFAIK from watching MotoGP and such, temps and conditions can vary quite a bit on Phillip Island, and the VTR is a finicky bastard at times...

smokinjoe73 03-19-2013 07:26 AM

Yeah, a clogged filter would cause fuel starvation at high and sustained rpm. Really dont think the stock screen would behave that way but it too could be mucked up I guess.

Carbs not flowing correctly could contribute to the condition. I have also seen it be an ignition problem as the coils only faulter at hi & sustained rpm, or require more current than the system provides.