SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Front sprocket (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/front-sprocket-34552/)

xeris 06-04-2017 08:08 AM

Front sprocket

Did a front/rear sprocket and chain replacement. The OEM front sprocket was the type with rubber damping. New replacement is solid.
What can I expect to be different?

Wolverine 06-04-2017 01:49 PM

Nothing really.

xeris 06-04-2017 10:16 PM

So I don't know what I'm seeing. The rubber is just to reduce noise. Had no idea.
The bike is smoother and faster. A 520 chain would have been way too fast for me.

CrankenFine 06-05-2017 12:30 PM

Curious - how many miles were on the stuff you replaced?

xeris 06-05-2017 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 402535)

25.5k. A random few links were starting to kink and I could pull a small amount of slack on the rear sprocket at 3 o'clock.
Maybe should have replaced a bit sooner, but I checked the chain a couple on months ago during a clean/lube and don't remember it loose of kinked.
My conclusion is that when the chain starts to go it deteriorates quickly.
Take that with a grain of your favorite spice, as I didn't even know what the rubber over-mold was for.

kenmoore 06-06-2017 02:07 AM

I have over 35,000 Klms on a replacement set of sprockets and chain.

I stayed with standard sprockets all be it aftermarket steel and a gold DID X Ring chain.

I have a spacer under my back shock so I run my chain on the loose side.

Lube and clean regularly and reckon I can get another 10,000 Klms out of it so next tyre change or thereabouts I will replace the chain and sprockets.

I am contemplating going to different gearing, maybe up a tooth or two on the back rather than down on the front as I believe the smaller radius will invoke quicker wear if I go for a 15 front.

The point is that regular maintenance promotes longevity!

Quality parts help as well !

I run a coerce sprocket cover and didn't notice any change when I fitted a non standard front sprocket without the rubber part.

Wolverine 06-06-2017 05:07 AM

I agree about the smaller radius, plus I like the +2 rear more than the 15t. It's a more subtle change from OE.
I'm very particular with chain maint. It makes a huge difference in longevity. I regularly see roached chains come in to the shop. You can really tell how a guy takes care of his bike by simply looking at the chain.

smokinjoe73 06-06-2017 07:09 PM

I am not sure how anyone stays with stock gearing. Its artificially high due to sound regs measured at 55mph. The only racetrack that requires that ratio I know of is Daytona which is all top end.

kenmoore 06-07-2017 01:41 AM

Depends where and how you ride Joe.

Most of my time is spent riding the mountains near home or transiting to places where warp factor speeds are attainable without interference from the authorities.

I am blessed that I live in a country where this is still achievable.

I am seriously contemplating a gearing change in the near future and will report on my findings when I do it.

smokinjoe73 06-07-2017 06:32 AM

Drop a tooth in the front or 2-3 in the rear and report back.

Due to power curve lower gearing yields better accel and better top speed usually since you break even on HP before you run out of revs.

See what happens.

xeris 06-10-2017 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 402535)

Looked at my log when I did the replacement and the mileage was 25.5K.