SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Front fork height (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/front-fork-height-22921/)

evines 06-17-2010 03:39 PM

Front fork height

Can someone please tell me how much the stock forks should stick out above the top triple clamp?

I'm not the original owner, and the PO made some modifications, but I'm not sure if he messed with the forks at all.

I have helibars and there is about 10mm of fork tube showing between the top of the triple clamp and the bottom of the handlebar clamp. The top of the handlebar clamp is flush with the top of the fork. Is this normal height, or has the fork been raised? Thanks in advance.

Tweety 06-17-2010 03:46 PM

Well, normally when using stock clip-ons there is a groove on the fork that should be aligned with the top of the clip-on... But that's with stock clip-on and with them flush with the top triple and I think around 5-10 mm of fork showing...

With your setup, assuming the clamp on the helibars are the same height they should be around the same as stock, possibly a few mm either way... Not so much it's of much consequence... Could affect turn-in marginally, but not stability...

bjorn toulouse 06-17-2010 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I removed the original clip ons to add risers and superbike bars. I did not alter the fork position in the clamps at all. The height above the upper clamp to the bottom of the clip ring is 33mm.

Rex

Attachment 27301

evines 06-17-2010 06:45 PM

It looks like from the picture that there is about 5mm from the bottom of the clip ring to the top edge of the fork? On my bike, it is 42-43mm from the top of the triple clamp to the top of the fork (I guess my clip-ons are clamped over and hiding the clip ring since I can't see the clip ring. My clip-ons are positioned higher, in line with the very top of the fork edge).

With all that said, I'd guess my forks have been raised about 4-5mm. Makes me wonder what else has been done to my bike that I don't know about yet. Find something new all the time . . .

VTRsurfer 06-17-2010 08:37 PM

I just measured, and from the top of the triple to the top edge of the fork tube, not including the fork cap, is just over 41mm. Mine is an '05, bought new, and I haven't done anything to the front end.

bjorn toulouse 06-18-2010 04:09 AM

Remeasuring mine, I have 38mm from the top of the upper triple clamp to the top of the tube.....40mm to the top of the cap.

I know that one of the previous owners had the front end off mine at some point. Supposedly, there are tapered roller bearings in the steering head and Gold Valves in the forks. We'll know for sure as the front end is next on the agenda, after I get my exhaust fabricated.

Rex

evines 06-18-2010 05:47 AM

Well, maybe my forks haven't been raised then. I might end up removing my clip-ons to see where that groove is. So the stock setup is clip-ons sitting directly on the triple clamp (no gap) with the top of the clip-on flush with the groove on the fork, correct?

I'm planning on doing Racetech springs and valves this winter (or maybe sooner depending on my patience). But then I realized that the PO might have already done stuff to the front fork, and I'd have no idea since I don't know what "stock" versus "racetech" feels like. I just know what my bike feels like. I'd hate to buy all the stuff, then open up my forks and find out it's already been done. I don't know the weight of the current oil or anything. And I've never disassembled forks before, so don't want to mess it up.

bjorn toulouse 06-18-2010 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by evines (Post 270595)
So the stock setup is clip-ons sitting directly on the triple clamp (no gap) with the top of the clip-on flush with the groove on the fork, correct?

Yes.
Just loosen the clamp on your Heli-bar and let it slide down to the upper triple clamp....the clip ring groove will be exposed.

I don't know the weight of the current oil or anything. And I've never disassembled forks before, so don't want to mess it up.
The info you need is in the Service Manual. There is a PDF version (search "Service Manual") in the Knowledge Base, and they show up on Ebay regularly.

Rex

VTRsurfer 06-18-2010 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by evines (Post 270595)
Well, maybe my forks haven't been raised then. I might end up removing my clip-ons to see where that groove is. So the stock setup is clip-ons sitting directly on the triple clamp (no gap) with the top of the clip-on flush with the groove on the fork, correct?

I checked mine again, and the clip-ons are sitting directly on the top of the triple. The top of the clip-on is about 2 1/2 mm below the bottom of the groove. And on mine the grooves have snap rings in them, I'd never looked close enough to notice that.

nuhawk 06-18-2010 06:46 PM

I think I'm set up deeper than that. One a level surface the distance from the floor to the bottom screw on the oil filter is 139mm. I have the forks set into the triples by 10mm's. These are Hawkrider's forks and he mirrored my set up when he moved his Superhawk to a CBR1K transplant. It's aggressive but if you have a wrist you're ok.

Tweety 06-19-2010 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 270678)
I checked mine again, and the clip-ons are sitting directly on the top of the triple. The top of the clip-on is about 2 1/2 mm below the bottom of the groove. And on mine the grooves have snap rings in them, I'd never looked close enough to notice that.

Then your forks might be pushed up a few mm... But that's not a bad thing...

The stock setup would be the clipons being flush with the bottom of the snap ring... Enough space to remove it, nothing more...

chickenstrip 06-19-2010 07:24 AM

My forks are up about 5mm from stock. I haven't done anything to the innards, I did this to reclaim some stability when loading up the Givis I occasionally ride with.