SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Front Diaphragm. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/front-diaphragm-31133/)

fuzzuki 09-21-2013 09:55 AM

Front Diaphragm.

I am trying to get to the front diaphragm
I am suspecting that the rubber is cracked or broken, because the slide is not moving when I rev up the motor.
I have removed the air box. Now I only need to get the third screw out of the diaphragm cover. The one that is at the bottom of the top cover.
There is a black cowl that is movable, but I cannot remover it completely to get to the third screw.
Is there a way to remove that screw without taking the carb out?

Thanks

cybercarl 09-21-2013 10:17 AM

Your making hard work for yourself. Just loosen off the clamps on the carb inlet rubbers and pull the carbs up enough so you have access. Don't forget you have the diaphragm spring as well which will be a lot more simple to get back in with the carbs pulled up. You will find a crosshead screw for the rear rubber on the left side of the bike towards the top near the vacuum line. You can access the front one through the hole in the plastic cowl on the right hand side of the bike by the rad.

(:-})

fuzzuki 09-21-2013 10:21 AM

OK, cool, I didn't want to pull it out because I thought I may screw up the sync.

cybercarl 09-21-2013 11:33 AM

Technically one should do a carb sync when pulling the carbs or doing anything else with them. But you will be fine just taking them out the rubbers or removing them. Jet changes, mixture or TPS adjustment can make a big change that would for sure require a carb sync afterwards. ;)

fuzzuki 09-21-2013 01:21 PM

Am currently trying, but they are bolted to each other and the bolt is too long to remove in the frame. Can you remove them bolted together?

fuzzuki 09-21-2013 01:33 PM

Never mind. I had to pull them both out. I was afraid to pull too hard. But they came out.
The front diaphragm is broken. That's good. I was starting to wonder if I had to tear the motor apart.
Thanks for the help guys.

spladle160 09-21-2013 01:41 PM

It took about 8 weeks for mine to come in a few years ago, I think it was on the slow boat from japan.

fuzzuki 09-21-2013 02:00 PM

Well, here it doesn't really matter. In the great white north, I will have plenty of time to wait.
I am just thinking on replacing them both. How much were they?

In the mean time, my wife has thankfully let me ride her SV650 to work for the remainder of the season.

The SV sure is a fun little bike. Plenty fast for a 650 twin!!!!!!!!!!!
I tend to get to work faster on her bike than on the VTR.

cybercarl 09-21-2013 07:54 PM

I am just thinking on replacing them both. How much were they?
New ones wont be cheap. It may be worth considering buying some 2nd hand carbs for the parts.

I should have said to give the carbs a side to side wiggle and pull and they will pop out the rubbers. To help get them back on smear a little grease around the inside of the rubbers. You have to push the carbs onto the rubbers squarely but with slightly more emphasis on the front then rear.