Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2002 Superhawk dropping a cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Squid

HAWKNUTZ is on a distinguished road
2002 Superhawk dropping a cylinder?

Hey all, first off let me say I have found a lot of useful information on this site- thank you for that. I have a question about a 2002 Superhawk that I hope somebody can help me with. Bike will start and run fine when cold but after about 5 minutes of running one cylinder cuts out- can't tell which one because both exhaust pipes are hot when it does it. If I ride it when cold it runs fine for a couple of minutes then it starts to cut out and will eventually die. Hard to restart. Seems to help by choking but it may just be a coincidence. If it sits for a few minutes it will restart. I have drained the fuel bowls after it dies to see if they have run dry but they seem to be full. Have cleaned the carburetors. Compression is good on both cylinders. Neither cylinder leaks down when tested. Cam timing is correct. On that topic: the automatic cam chain adjusters have been recently replaced with manual adjusters. Have made sure that they are not too tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nutz
Old 05-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Sounds like PVLIR.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
Sounds like PVLIR.
Or a coil.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Squid

HAWKNUTZ is on a distinguished road
Thanks to those who have replied to my dilemma. I finally found the problem. A small piece of "something" was blocking the impulse line to the vacuum valve at the petcock. I knew I was leaning out but every time I drained the float bowls they were always full. I guess by the time I reached in with a screwdriver to open the bowl drains the fuel had refilled the bowls. I've ridden several mile now without a hiccup. Maybe this will help someone else in the future. Thanks again for the replies.