SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   fork swap question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fork-swap-question-12856/)

VoodooDog 10-03-2007 09:15 PM

fork swap question

what exactly will putting on a set of inverted forks and racetech springs do for the bike? i'm not racing but am interested in doing anything that'll help the hawk be all it can be...

cliby 10-04-2007 10:03 AM

Less front fork flex, much more adjustability, appropriate spring rates, less unsprung weight, AND the benefits of simultaneously upgrading brakes, and lighter wheel. Now a lot of people think you get most of that with racetech valves, different spring and fork brace (I don't agree), but you still have brakes that could be much improved. The race tech mod all told can get pricey (if you don't do the work yourself). If you aren't feeling the limitations of the current set-up, you might not notice much improvement. If I only had 800 to spend, I'd get a new rear shock first and be sure I had the right rate srping in the front.

killer5280 10-04-2007 11:15 AM

The most noticeable differences to me are stability and solid feel when transitioning left to right and when braking really hard. Moves that used to cause high pucker factor are now no sweat.
Of course the brakes are more powerful and the fork is more adjustable than the stockers, but the biggest gain to me is the confidence inspiring stability.

superbling 10-04-2007 11:50 AM

Just an opinion but I think USD is overkill on a bike with "tuned flex" designed into the frame. Along with fitting concerns, they are also typically heavier, shorter and quite expensive if you piece one together. They are the ultimate in rigidity, braking options and bling.

A stock front end with a full racetech or other company's treatment along with a brace will give most folks want they want; much better compliance and steering feel. I was happy with mine except for the lack of compression adjustment; hence, I went with an F4i front end. The fact that I got a killer deal ($400 for full racetech and triples!) made it a no brainer.

I'd run an USD as some of the limitations (length/clipons) aren't a factor for me yet the costs, at least on ebay, are too high now.

killer5280 10-04-2007 12:06 PM

The proof is in the pudding, so to speak. The bike flat out works a lot better with the USD fork on it.
I have seen lots of bikes with flexier chassis than the Hawk with USD forks; there's a reason for it.
You may be right that a well sorted stock fork will provide most people with all they want or need, and it certainly is enough for going fast on the street, but I have a USD fork on mine now and I ain't going back to stock. To me, the differences aren't subtle.

cliby 10-04-2007 01:53 PM

I agree, like I said I've heard the other side as well. In fact that is what I started with - racetech, springs and brace, then went to full swap and thought the difference was more dramatic than the switch from stock to racetech was. Really happy with it and with a patient approach over winter, and then selling off the stock stuff, you can gather it all up for reasonable price.

bill

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 132079)
The proof is in the pudding, so to speak. The bike flat out works a lot better with the USD fork on it.
I have seen lots of bikes with flexier chassis than the Hawk with USD forks; there's a reason for it.
You may be right that a well sorted stock fork will provide most people with all they want or need, and it certainly is enough for going fast on the street, but I have a USD fork on mine now and I ain't going back to stock. To me, the differences aren't subtle.

VoodooDog 10-04-2007 03:38 PM

ah, i love this site...

USD? what is this?

at 6'4" and 210 lbs what should I be setting my suspension to for a confident handling street machine? I know the little soft and hard settings on the triple tree and the back shock. is there something else?

i'm trying to give the honda guys as little money as possible while learning to be my own garage monkey, as it's cheaper as well as enjoyable to do my own stuff. i'm learning as I go, hence this forum, the hawk maintenance manual purchase and the various tools i figure out I need as I go. but i find (delightfully so) that I learn something new almost every day.

i was aware of this site before i got the bike and knowing i could take advantage of veteran hawk riders' knowledge was a deciding factor in the purchase, although it was a forgone conclusion once i rode the beast.

thanks guys...

killer5280 10-04-2007 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by VoodooDog (Post 132085)
ah, i love this site...

USD? what is this?

thanks guys...

Upside Down.

VoodooDog 10-04-2007 06:44 PM

*slaps forehead*

thanks!

Hawkrider 10-04-2007 09:33 PM

I have well sorted stock forks right now - springs, compression GV, revalved rebound, fork brace. I am looking for the rock solid stability in corners that the 1000RR provides. I think that will be provided by the forks. As for the rear end, I have another swingarm that will be getting a 900RR brace grafted on this winter. I only have a few parts left to get and then I start the new fork installation. My wheel is ready for pickup at the post office tomorrow.

superhawk22 10-05-2007 09:34 AM

The difference is night and day and IMO it's money well spent since you not only get rock solid cornering but improved brakes at the same time, 2 of the SH short commings. + it just looks damn cool :lol: and we all know that's what it's all about. :D

davidka 10-08-2007 06:43 PM

woops, double post..

davidka 10-08-2007 06:44 PM

IMO, if we are going that far with our SH's then we are going to great lengths to make it more like an RC-51, a bike Honda already makes. ;) I can see doing a F4i front end but if I am going to drop that kind of coin it will be on an RC51 or an Aprilia or something more like that.

Hawkrider 10-08-2007 07:38 PM

I wouldn't consider a few hundred bucks "dropping coin". Some folks spend loads more than that on exhaust alone. Figure $700 or so for the new front end and then turning around and selling the stock forks for $400 or so.

killer5280 10-08-2007 08:20 PM

Additionally, the fork swap doesn't really change the Hawk's character, but it does enhance it. A Superhawk will never be an RC51, but the fork is a modification that, along with a few others, should have been addressed by Honda at the factory.

davidka 10-09-2007 04:27 AM

Yes, I could see doing it for $700 but I have not seen a way to get the parts necessary for that amount (have looked on ebay occasionally). I would have liked the F4i forks to come stock but it's the ol' pricepoint game they were playing. If they had done a higher end fork, shock and brakes the price would have gone up into that $9k-$9.5k range that their two highest end bikes occupied (RC51 and CBR).

I was suprised to contact FOX and find out that they don't make the aftermarket rear shock for it anymore, it sounded as though they discounted it a long time ago. I thought that a TON of superhawks have been sold over the years. I guess they just weren't selling anymore.

hawxter996 10-09-2007 03:11 PM

as i understand they no longer are making any street shocks.

superhawk22 10-09-2007 10:26 PM

For one thing the RC and the SH are completely different no matter what you do to the suspension, the power delivery, the width, ergos etc.....but the best part is being able to compete with the RC on the track. It really does make a good bike a much better bike IMO.