SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Fork height question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fork-height-question-7752/)

NOrrTH 11-07-2005 10:10 AM

Fork height question

Does anyone happen to know what the stock fork height is, say from the top of the triple to the top of the fork tube including or not including fork cap?

I've had mine on and off so many times I've lost track. I was on a ZX-7 and the riding position felt like my nose was dragging on the ground, then I jump back on my bike and it feels like I'm on a dirt bike. Need to change the steering head angle.

Thanks

jschmidt 11-07-2005 02:00 PM

They're supposed to have a snap ring in the groove. The groove sits at the top of the clipon.

NOrrTH 11-07-2005 03:46 PM

Re: Fork height question

Ya, it does. Thanks Schmidt :D

Now to start dropping it in 5mm steps :)

RC996 11-07-2005 03:49 PM

Hey NOrrTH.
The VTR suffers form ground clearance issues when ridden hard on a track. Not a problem on the street, though. Anyway dropping the nose makes it worse. the best way to steepen the head angle is to increase the rear height.

BTW, I'm parting my bike out. If you still want my Fox, you've got first dibs.

I'll be posting soon with photos of all the other goodies as soon as I get them detailed out, fixed and documented.

cdyer77 11-07-2005 03:52 PM

See North, I knew you end up with a good deal on a fox shock. Sorry I couldnt help you out buddy.

NOrrTH 11-08-2005 09:58 AM

WOOHOO! finally :D Yes, I'll take it.

*happy dance*

Back to the topic. I scrape my pegs on the street now but would like to get a knee down. Signed up for a proper race course this spring.

How bad could lowering the front 10mm be? Wouldn't that just lower the bike 10mm? Can't that be overcome by just hanging off the bike a little more?

The reason raising the rear is my second choice is because I have a 31" inseam and at a stop I'm halfway between tippy toes and flat footed with boots on.

RC996 11-08-2005 10:37 AM

I scrape my lower fairing (protects the exhaust header) on the right and kickstand on the left, even with the rear raised. Less so if I get off the bike more.

The other good and very important benefit to raising the rear is that it changes the swingarm angle and the chainline, reducing the torque at the swingarm pivot for less squatting under hard acceleration and improved rear suspension ramp rate.

superbling 11-08-2005 10:56 AM

Scott,

After I went with wider superbike bars, my lowered front and raised rear combo became too nervous and prone to wiggles due to unintended inputs from me. Upping the front back to stock with the wide bars gave me back the stability yet still quicker than stock steering.

Yes, this would be a very involve route to take but food for thought.

blokeontheend 11-08-2005 11:42 AM

The Corbin saddle sits a bit lower - I went from tippy toes to flat footed. Although there's too much space behind so when you accelerate hard your butt slide back in the saddle. Raising the rear might offset some of this as you'd be sliding up hill. I recommend trying out someone elses if you can. Just more useless info to muddy the waters for ya!

NOrrTH 11-08-2005 11:45 AM

Geez the last thing I want is instability, especially since I ride it like a maniac. Thanks for the sage advice. The life you save may have been my own. :P

I'll do the shock spacer *salute*

cdyer77 11-10-2005 03:16 PM

hey North, where a new avatar with the lower on it?

icebud 11-11-2005 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RC996";p=&quot (Post 12298)

BTW, I'm parting my bike out. If you still want my Fox, you've got first dibs.

I'll be posting soon with photos of all the other goodies as soon as I get them detailed out, fixed and documented.

Hey Rand, I was not thinking you will be parting it out but if you are still, I can be interested by some parts! Please let me know...

Cheers

NOrrTH 11-11-2005 11:35 AM

..and answer your PM's buddy :)

CNI Dawg 11-11-2005 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot (Post 12291)
They're supposed to have a snap ring in the groove. The groove sits at the top of the clipon.

Yep, page 13-20 of the manual.
located here:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewt...42364b9e0e37ae

Funny thing is my top clamp is about 1/8" lower than spec :(
Guess I need to raise it and use a spacer on top of the rear shock instead. I bet the previous owner changed it to help quicken the steering