SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   flunky punks turning wrenches at my local dealer (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/flunky-punks-turning-wrenches-my-local-dealer-10208/)

Les 12-28-2006 08:43 PM

flunky punks turning wrenches at my local dealer

I just finished the replacing the water pump mechanical seal on my 98 Hawk. I took the right case containing the pump in to my local dealer to have the mechanical seal replaced because I "thought" they would do it right and have the special tools. When I got the case back the surface that the water pump cover mates to was marrred in at least three places. I had my doubts about whether it would leak or not but it turns out that it did not leak, at least at the present time. Who knows if it will still be not leaking in the future. I'm so sick of what I call "flunky punks" turning wrenches at most motorcycle dealerships here in Tucson. They put a mechanics shirt on these guys and all of a sudden they are mechanics. This is why I feel the need to do as much of my own maintenance as possible. Is it like this at your dealership or is it just Tucson?

marmaladedad 12-28-2006 09:47 PM

The two places I have taken my bike have always had good service. One is a hole-in-the-wall mechanic's shop, the other is a dealership.

superhawk22 12-28-2006 10:10 PM

It's hit or miss down here, research and word of mouth is all you can do to protect yourself. Which is why I do all the work I can on my bike, there are a few guys I trust and they are willing to let me pick their brain for info.

L8RGYZ 12-29-2006 05:51 AM

Shoot, even the highly experienced guys seem to mess up on my bike. They haven't killed me yet though!

Thumper 12-29-2006 07:10 AM

Never Never take your bike to a dealer. If you can't fix it or maintain it yourself, then you need another hobby.

Get some tools and fix it yourself.

I figure that i can screw it up just as well as the dealer can 3 out of 10 time. The other 7 i come out ahead and save money.

If it were mine i would have demanded a replacement cover be purchased or my service money back for shoty workmenship.

Les 12-29-2006 07:42 AM

flunky punks turning wrenches

It's not always practical to buy the tools you need for every job. For example, for this job I needed a hydraulic press and a few specialized tools. It made more sense to let someone who already had the tools do it, ASSUMING they would do it right. I let it go this time but next time I will closely inspect EVERYTHING before I leave the shop that did the work. Of course they will treat you as if you're being an A-hole for questioning their ability. They'll take it personally that you are instpecting their work.

Jake D 12-29-2006 08:31 AM

Meh. I ride the bike. The mechanic works on it. Find a shop you trust. If you can't afford a good mechanic, then you need another hobby. :twisted:

captainchaos 12-29-2006 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 38043)
Never Never take your bike to a dealer. If you can't fix it or maintain it yourself, then you need another hobby.

Get some tools and fix it yourself.

I figure that i can screw it up just as well as the dealer can 3 out of 10 time. The other 7 i come out ahead and save money.

If it were mine i would have demanded a replacement cover be purchased or my service money back for shoty workmenship.

That exactly how I feel. No one is going to take the care to fix your bike the way you will. It's always a fast food job when it doesn't belong to them. And hell it doesn't have to be right because you'll just have to take YOUR time (oh yeah and MONEY) to bring it back again. And even when it is done "right" stuff may get banged around, left off, etc. They never take the time to reroute stuff properly or put things back together gently the way you do on your own bike/car or anything else that needs fixing for that matter. There are a HANDFUL of people out there that take some pride in their work and if anyone's found someone like that good for you-make sure to tip them and be nice to them...
I try to fix ANYTHING I can myself unless I know right off the bat I'm getting in over my head. And whether it be an airplane, a bike, or a car I think having some idea of what's going on under you can pay off handsomely in certain situations.