SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Flat tire fix opinions (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/flat-tire-fix-opinions-19578/)

captainchaos 07-17-2009 03:12 PM

Flat tire fix opinions

I was wondering what products some of you recommend for temporary fixes for flats to get you home. I think it's an overlooked item with motorcycles in general. While every car comes with a spare, from what I've heard/read BMW is the only one who sells their bikes with any kind of flat tire repair kit in the toolkit. I'm talking easiest/most effective method to get you where you're going and not be left stranded. Not meant as a permanent fix. Many don't really think of it until you're on the side of the road and then it's "oh shit...now what."

inderocker 07-17-2009 03:25 PM

Stop & Go Tire Plugger Kit, it's all you need. Fix-A-Flat doesn't work for shit.

lazn 07-17-2009 03:35 PM

I keep a tire repair kit on my bike. It includes plugs and a few CO2 cartridges to fill the tire.

captainchaos 07-17-2009 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by inderocker (Post 227358)
Stop & Go Tire Plugger Kit, it's all you need. Fix-A-Flat doesn't work for shit.

That looks like a great tool. Have you had to use it yet?

L8RGYZ 07-17-2009 05:04 PM

Temporary repair? Just use the sticky rope plugs. Used them several times and they work.

Stop & Go didn't work the one time I saw it used, but I'm sure it has worked for some people.

Also, the one time I tried to use CO2 cartridges was unsuccessful. Not enough pressure to seat the bead on a fully deflated tire. Now I carry a very compact air compressor under the seat. Had to use it a couple years ago. My friend & I got the tire plugged, reinflated & were underway in 15 minutes.

afm528 07-17-2009 09:07 PM

Slime makes the Slime Power Sport Spare. It gets great reviews. Since being stranded with my last flat I've carried one with me, but of course since I bought it, now I'll never need to use it! It's only when you DON'T have a tool that the problem happens.

Here's a link to a review of "12v Mini Pumps" from Motorcycle Consumer News.

Someplace else I can't remember, I read a comparison of different methods to repair a flat and the consensus was that the sticky rope stuff is the best solution. I don't know if they tested the green Slime goo, though I think that's really a temp. fix.

On a related note, I got on my bike yesterday at home and realized I had (another!) flat. Found a big screw in my nearly new Bridgestone tire. That's another $200 down the drain...

Redone 08-02-2009 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 227361)
That [Stop 'n Go plugger] looks like a great tool. Have you had to use it yet?

I bought one a while back after I got a flat that I could ride home on, by filling the tire up a few times. Didn't want to trust the tire after that, so I fixed it with the plugger in my garage for practice, then bought a new one. Haven't had a flat since. :)

I like the mushroom idea better than the sticky ropes. Seems to me to be more reliable. I know some people disagree.

inderocker 08-02-2009 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 227361)
That looks like a great tool. Have you had to use it yet?

Fortunately not.

smokinjoe73 08-02-2009 12:10 PM

You can use a regular self vulcanizing kit from an autoparts store & only have to get a co2 jammy. This topic comes up periodicly but you can definitely make a permanent roadside fix & ride out the rest of the tire life. I have done this many times for thousands of miles including top speed runs and peg scraping lean angles. All weather and two up touring. In fact I am riding a plugged tire now with no problems. Just cut the plug close to the tire, keep an eye on pressure and you are fine.