SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Fitted forks / front end (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fitted-forks-front-end-7683/)

jvhy 10-07-2005 06:42 AM

Fitted forks / front end

At least these front end / forks has been fitted to SH:

RC51 / VTR1000SP1
CBR900RR 96-01 (several models)
CBR600F4i

Is there any other? Wasn't there someone in here that fitted gixxer forks? Does anybody knows about headstock bearings of gixxers, will they fit?

I'm questioning these things 'cause it's seems to be quite hard to find Fireblade forks here in Finland! At least the upsidedownies of 00 and 01...

-Janne (VTR1000F '98 & RG250W '84)

superhawk22 10-07-2005 07:30 AM

I'm the one with the gixer forks but I used 929/954 triples to fit them on there. The front end with the least hassle is the RC51 because the length of the forks is the same as the Hawks. As far as the triples from the gsxr sorry can't help you there, I did try a front end from a zx12 but they were too wide. I think everything else would've worked but it was hitting the fairing on the inside and I didn't want to go naked. If you do decide to go with gixer forks and different triple I would look for RC51 triples so you can mount regular clipons under the triples. With 929 because of the wing shape you either have to get helibars,(or similar), and mount them under or leave some of the forks exposed to mount them on top. The problem being they're shorter than original so it leans too much.

Riccardo 10-08-2005 04:15 PM

Re: Fitted forks / front end

I've seen a CBR 600 RR '01 (45mm RSU) front end fitted on a VTR.
On my VTR I have a CBR 900 '97 fork.
Ciao

jvhy 10-11-2005 07:00 AM

Hi!

Has anyone measured Kawa ZX9-R's front end...Will it fit to the SH? I was offered whole front end from Ninja...

Does anyone knows about the brakes of it, are they any good? At least the disks are larger than SH's (320mm). Fork springs are about 1kg/cm stock, so they are around there for me. For the track use...

So, knowledge and opinions are welcome!

-Janne (VTR1000F '98 & RG250W '84)

P.S. second choice for me is to buy a whole a track bike...And make the SH back to "stock" again...

superhawk22 10-11-2005 03:59 PM

Never measured the 9 but the zx12 is too wide unless you cut the fairing. Other then that I think it would've worked. As far as the brakes, I think they are the same as the gsxr except for the mounting holes are farther apart. They should be the 6 pot calipers.

Monomaster 10-12-2005 03:26 PM

I've got Ducati 900SS USD front end fitted, with a Marchesini 5 spoke front wheel & Brembo Gold series calipers.

The problems I had are as follows:

The fork offset, (the distance the forks are in front of the steering stem) is far greater on a VTR (about 40mm or 1.5 "). Compared to 8mm (3/16") on the Ducati triple clamps. What this meant was that the steering lock was severly reduced. The fork would come into contact with the radiator & hose on full lock.I had the radiator link hose, (at the top of the radiator), modified so the hose comes out at 90 degrees, bending backwards & across to the other radiator. This freed up some amount of steering lock, but explains why Ducati have such crappy steering lock to begin with.

Also, If you remove the clip-on handlebars from the VTR, you will notice that the forks sit about 50mm (2") through the triple clamp, to allow for the handlebar connection. The Ducati fork length is the same length, when pushed flush with the top triple clamp, as the VTR in its standard position. This means that I have to have custom made clip-ons, which sit underneath the top triple clamp, but rise up to the standard position. (Cost me about $500au or $290us).

Lastly, the steering stem thickness on the Ducati triple clamp is 26mm (1") as apposed to 30mm (1.2") on the VTR. I could not find a bearing with the correct measurements, so I had a sleeve placed around the stem, bringing it out to 30mm & allowing me to run the VTR bearings (although I have the tapered bearing modification).

After all of the mucking around, the bike is back to the same height as stock with decreased steering rake, for a quicker steering action.

Riccardo 10-13-2005 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Monomaster";p=&quot (Post 11641)
The fork offset, (the distance the forks are in front of the steering stem) is far greater on a VTR (about 40mm or 1.5 "). Compared to 8mm (3/16") on the Ducati triple clamps.

What about handling?
This big difference in triple clamp offset (VTR stock offset is 35 mm) should have great influence in bike handling.
In this case (less offset --> more trail) the bike should have lost a lot of manoeuvrability becoming very "hard" to ride. Isn't it?
Ciao

Monomaster 10-13-2005 04:59 PM

I'll let you know when its finished, but there's other ways to alter rake & trail figures, so I will be able to adjust wheelbase & ride height to suit.

superbling 10-13-2005 07:41 PM

Ricardo,

You don't understand. His front end is never ON THE GROUND so it doesn't matter!!! :lol:

Riccardo 10-14-2005 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by superbling
Ricardo,

You don't understand. His front end is never ON THE GROUND so it doesn't matter!!! :lol:

I missed that "little" detail!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Like you missed a "c" on my name!!!!! :wink: :wink: :)
Ciao

Monomaster 10-14-2005 03:29 PM

Bwahahahahahahahah....Dam straight superbling!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: