SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   The Final Word on Yamaha Carb Cleaner Trick By RK1 (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/final-word-yamaha-carb-cleaner-trick-rk1-23380/)

5150 08-03-2010 08:37 PM

The Final Word on Yamaha Carb Cleaner Trick By RK1

Ok so, i went back and re pulled the gas tank, the vacum line and the two fuel lines and sat the tank on the ground.

Drained both float bowls and tighten the float bowl scews. Fill both float bowls with yamaha Carb Cleaner and let it sit for 3 days.

6-10 times i day i rocked the holy heck out of by bike. after three days of trying to recover one tank bolt i dropped down to the outside internals i finally get it out and decide time to drain the floats out and put the gas tank back on.

Took spark plugs over to a mechanic who said they are perfecto. reinstall plugs. reinstall tank. vacum line and two gas lines. turn back on gas petcock.

Fire up my Hawk, and she sounds pretty good this time around. i let it warm up for about idk maybe 8 minutes. no choke.

Throw on the helmet, and take off for a spin around the block.

Wow she is kicking ass. pulling through the gears like a champ. i decide to go further then around the block. for about 5 miles my Hawk was making me very happy. then all the sudden must have sucked up some kinda left over goo or who knows what. she starts to run a tad rough. Die ing at lights, dieing coming up to lights.

Took my hand off the clutch at a light and dropped it into neutral because my hand was tired and when i got a green i shifted into first and clunk. she dies.

so it seems to me the carb cleaner trick for sure works. i think maybe one or two more rounds of carb cleaner in the float bowls with super manly rocking will work.

I still may have to pull the carbs and thank you for the write up on that Auto teach. i will follow that if it comes to me doing it.

but like Rk1 said, i have no carb sync tools, no tools really at all, i had to borrow some for even this meager attempt at making something happen because all my tools were stolen a while back.

So far, i have not gotten to ride as much as i want, but i am riding more then if i pull those carbs and f my bike up. =P So i will keep on with the sea foam and see if it cleans out any more and then i will try out the yamaha carb cleaner a few more times. after that i will resort to begging a local member to give me a hand.

thanks every one for all the help.

Ps. bike is better then when i started off, but still not perfect. but those 5 miles that she ran right, omg they were magic.

NooB 08-03-2010 09:39 PM

Dude, $20 worth of tools at Harbor Freight, or your local chinese tool store, is all you need. It's retardedly easy to go through the carbs and clean them out. You won't even have to rebalance them if you don't mess with the balance screw. Get a repair manual and fix it right.

Once the tank and the airbox is off, it's throttle cables (easy, just two nuts), tps plug, and the rubber intake boots. Once the carbs are out, pull the float bowl covers off, unscrew the jets and spray them out with carb cleaner one by one. No big deal.

FL02SupaHawk996 08-04-2010 08:16 AM

sounds like you had them clean then they may have filled with crap from the tank again...try cleaning them again, but this time check the tank for debris too. Once you've reinstalled everything else instead of running the 2 gas lines from the tank to the carbs just put some clear tubing on the two nipples on the stopcock and put the other ends into a two liter bottle. Take plug wires off and crank/roll it over a few times. The vacuum created will flow gas from the tank into the bottle. Inspect it for small black precipitant. If you see some then it's time to clean the tank before you pump your carbs full of it again...

cales98hawk 08-04-2010 08:46 AM

are you using the yamaha stuff that comes in a qt bottle?? If you read the back of the label it says to cut it 50% with gasoline. THIS IS A MISSPRINT! Every year at the yamaha updates they go over this. You are supposed to cut it with water. Believe it or not it works!! But for all practical purposes I would pull the carbs and clean them, drain/flush the tank and put it back together.

5150 08-04-2010 01:56 PM

I will check the inside of the tank the way FLO2 suggested.

Cales i didnt cut it at all. i just put it inthe bowls full strength, and yes it is the quart black bottle of 11.99 yamaha carb cleaner.

and finally, 20 bucks for tools? you had me at hello. lol This sunday i guess i will try and pull the carbs. but every one be prepared to give me lots of information on how to fix whatever it is that i make a mess of. lol.

Thanks again for all the input.

PS my bike has all kind of bs extra california emissions bs on it.

autoteach 08-04-2010 03:26 PM

PS, Your bike "HAD" all kinds of emissions stuff on it. Hint Hint, start looking this stuff up so you are ready when you are in there. Including the Pair Removal.

5150 08-05-2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 276768)
PS, Your bike "HAD" all kinds of emissions stuff on it. Hint Hint, start looking this stuff up so you are ready when you are in there. Including the Pair Removal.

LOL will do. just keep in mind i am doing all this work in my dirt driveway. lol. though i do like the sound the pairs make with the popping nioses as im coasting up to a light. =P

j shizzy wizzy 08-05-2010 08:53 PM

I really like the popping on decel too.

mchawkmaster 08-09-2010 12:16 PM

A couple quick questions as I will be performing this "trick" soon.

1. Can you put too much of the cleaner in the carbs and it either go into the engine and eat something important?

2. If some stays up in the gas lines will it melt them?

3. If 1 and 2 can happen, how do you know when you have put enough in there?

5150 08-13-2010 11:18 AM

OK i have been scouring over the forums for a while now. I have to say after the lasst clean, it does work.

Something else is wrong, im soo pissed at this point because the god darn thing is so close to running top notch it kills me.

I am thinking at this point:

1 Vacum leak some where.

2 Slide sticking.

3 Improper Float Bowl operation and or levels.

4 I have a california bike with all kinds of emissions cocka-mamie bull shizz on it, maybe one of those peices went bad.

I am ready to go home and tear off the carbs but my worry is the dirt field of a drive way i have. Idk..

Anyways, this trick works but i have some other issue. just have to track it down now.

Thanks every one for the help so far.

Ive been less the on it to fix it any more as while out riding i came into a drive way and it felt like i hit a cinder block and the lip was like .5 inches tall. so i looked closer and see i have a left front fork soaked in oil dripping off the brake caliper.

So i guess i fix the carbs and then i have to get into the forks next.. Grrrrr