SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Is it faulty rectifier? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/faulty-rectifier-30047/)

Lukasz Kowalczyk 03-28-2013 09:24 AM

Is it faulty rectifier?

Hi.I am new to forum so pls be gentle with me if i am duplicating threads or something. thnx.
.I have a 2002 firestorm.My yellow beast gives me lots and lots of fun.
But today it just died on me.All electrics gone.So as i am new to vtr and big bikes so i only knew to check the fuses in that small compartment under the seat but i did not know about the one which seats on the side of the frame underneath the plastic.So basically i did not know what to do so i called AA breakdown recovery.The guy after half an hour of checks and stuff he managed to establish that the green wire on the rectifier terminal causes the fuse to blow(the main fuse).So to establish that we wasted about 6 fuses even with ignition off.We came to conclusion that if we cut the wire (the green being the ground) then i might be able to get home on the battery itself without charging.So i am at home and i tried to check again what was causing the problem as the AA guy said that probably i need to trace the green wire back all the way where its coming from as it may be shortcutting, but it is the negative-ground-so if it would be shortcutting it would do so even when not plugged in to the rectifier right?(for the record it was shortcutting-blowing the main fuse-only when the harness was connected to rectifier).so i connected it back up(as we did cut it to get me home) i started the bike up and it didnt blow...even now i went to start it up and it still works...so any idea what could be causing that?is it the rectifier?if so why it is working now?pls heeelp...i am stuck.

8541Hawk 03-28-2013 10:31 AM

Yes it is the R\R and it works now because it has cooled off. Let it get hot again and the problem should repeat. ;)

limey git 03-28-2013 02:22 PM

ihave the same problem except my bike was cold. trying to start it turned over normaly then out went the lights. they still dont work and i checked all points in the honda service manual as described and believe all to be good,including the regulator. any more ideas?

7moore7 03-28-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by limey git (Post 351482)
ihave the same problem except my bike was cold. trying to start it turned over normaly then out went the lights. they still dont work and i checked all points in the honda service manual as described and believe all to be good,including the regulator. any more ideas?

Still likely your regulator. You have to check it when it's running. Batt voltage with bike off, batt voltage with bike idling, and batt voltage with a little bit of throttle.

Also, doesn't hurt that 95% of the time it's the R/R with this bike, which is why many people upgrade theirs.

It converts charge for your battery, so if it went out your battery likely drained as well.

ExigentLifeAZ 03-28-2013 07:13 PM

Ref. to R/R and shorting conditions

I agree your symptoms are indicative of a faulty R/R but I also suggest it would not hurt to inspect/clean your grounding points/wires regardless as corrosion may cause issues down the road.

Lukasz Kowalczyk 03-29-2013 05:29 AM

hi.i am really thankful for your help.Yes i checked the batt voltage and its 12.6 when idle and going up above 13.6 when revved a bit.(i dont want to rev too high cuz its LOUD and my neighbours will moan)well so is it possible that it caused the fuse blow up when it was hot and now that its cooled down its fine?i already bought one frome ebay
Honda VTR 1000 VTR1000F FV/FW/FX/FY/F1/F2/F3 97-03 Regulator/Rectifier | eBay
what do you think?will it be okay or not really?thnx

Lukasz Kowalczyk 03-29-2013 05:30 AM

yes and i had to bump start it..took me fair few times and i am exhausted.

limey git 03-29-2013 12:31 PM

so i order a regulator today. if it works the beers on me. thanks for your help.