SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Fate of My 99...Suggestions Please! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fate-my-99-suggestions-please-24261/)

ali1000vtr 11-22-2010 08:51 PM

Fate of My 99...Suggestions Please!

Can't sleep and need some ideas guys - here's where I am at...

I had a small shop back home in Michigan adjust the valves and take a look inside the head about a year ago - things seemed fine, but I still put a new CCT on the front cylinder hoping things would improve. But after about 400 miles at my new home in North Carolina, disaster struck and the engine seized up, luckily only at 35mph. After 7 months sitting in a busy shop, they finally told me the front valves are bent and it needs a a new front piston (+$2000 was their estimate). Two guys at the shop offered me to buy the bike off of me because of the beautiful condition its in, so I worry they're elevating the cost so I fold and sell it. As much as I'd love to make this a home project my time and my skills are limited, and a new job/baby are priority.

(1) Are there any recommended shops or individuals in North Carolina that anyone knows about who I can really trust to do an engine rebuild without
being ripped off?

(2) Engine swap anyone?

(3) Does anyone know of salvage yards or shops around the country that work on Superhawk engines that would do a swap or sell me a reliable, rebuilt engine?

(4) Any other suggestions?

And lastly....

(5) Anyone interested in a 1999 Superhawk with about 18K on it in the Raleigh-Durham Area?

Although this is my first post, this forum has been a great resource in the months I've been able to ride the 'hawk and I hope that can continue soon...

Thank you everyone.

NooB 11-22-2010 09:18 PM

Can't help with helping you locate a shop, but I will say depending on the damage you may be better off just buying a used motor. Considering labor involved with taking a motor apart, just swapping for a used cheap motor will probably be cheaper.. Oh, and no motor swaps since the VTR uses the case as the swingarm pivot. Good luck

1971allchaos 11-23-2010 01:46 AM

[quote=ali1000vtr;287310]Can't sleep and need some ideas guys - here's where I am at...

(1) Are there any recommended shops or individuals in North Carolina that anyone knows about who I can really trust to do an engine rebuild without
being ripped off? (Yeah, I know this reliable (Buddy Holly) motorcycle Tech. that owns his own shop here in Asheville NC)

(2) Engine swap anyone? (I have a completely rebuilt 1998 engine)

(3) Not always a reliable source..

(4) Any other suggestions? (I know a awesome motorcycle Tech. who is honest, reliable and compared to the prices your hearing:eek:-Cheap) Only he is in this part of the state(the curvy side)

And lastly....

(5) Anyone interested in a 1999 Superhawk with about 18K on it in the Raleigh-Durham Area? (Fix it if possible:D, you will hate yourself later;))

I've been able to ride the 'hawk and I hope that can continue soon...
(will do what we can to help you)

You are welcome , If i can help with any information, Let me know..:)

Tweety 11-23-2010 02:00 AM

I have no idea of prices in US shops, but having a shop rebuild the engine is usually expensive to say the least, it's almost always a better idea to find a good donor engine and swap them out instead...

Depending on what they offered you for the bike, it's impossible to tell, but I doubt they are ripping you off... But they do run a business, so my guess they think they can get a replacement engine in there and sell it and make a profit, or part the bike for profit... That doesn't mean they are ripping you off though, as a rebuild with the engine you have would probably be less of a "win" for you than selling... See above option...

If you do decide to fix it, yourself or using the shop allchaos recommended, we will all help as best we can...

whozit 11-23-2010 03:27 AM

In my opinion replace your motor with a good used one and sell the old motor in parts to recuperate some of the money. If you have the mechanical aptitude, time and space to do it yourself you'll be happy you did. Not only will you save money but you'll learn a lot more about your bike. If not, I would definitely talk to the shop Chaos recommended. As for selling it, parting it out will probably be more profitable and I personally don't like selling to the shop that's supposed to fix it.

Old Yeller 11-23-2010 05:02 AM

Swapping the motor is far cheaper than what they want to rebuild it.

I know a guy in Charlotte that I trust if you need a mechanic. Might be a little far for you though.

1971allchaos 11-23-2010 05:31 AM

Hey ali,

You have LOTS of options..

All is NOT Lost..

FL02SupaHawk996 11-23-2010 10:05 AM

replace motor

Just find a motor and swap them out...

For instance, I've got a smooth running motor that I replaced with a Stg1 motor. It's a stock 2002 motor that had 12K miles on it when I bought the bike 3 years ago and it now has 30K miles on it from my 100 mile commute.

It already has manual APE CCTs and cranked everytime. I had it dynoed just before removal and it's makin 99-100 hp at the rear wheel. You'll need the starter, side covers, shifter star & clutch parts off your current motor, but it's a complete running motor otherwise, which has not been opened at all since I pulled it. Doesn't smoke and has just been sitting in my clean/dry garage...

Send me a PM if you want it.

Rick C.

ali1000vtr 11-24-2010 07:30 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions guys - Much appreciated and I've regained hope that I'll be able to ride again.... Will keep you posted.