SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   factory pro shift kit install instructions. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/factory-pro-shift-kit-install-instructions-33725/)

ZERO 01-19-2016 02:32 AM

factory pro shift kit install instructions.

I'm going to attempt to give a complete set of instructions here about the factory Pro Shift kit EVO-77.
You'll need:
1) 1/4" ratchet
2) 1/4" drive 8mm socket
3) 1/4" drive 10mm socket
4) phillips head screwdriver
5) bucket to catch coolant
6) new R/H engine cover gasket.(Comes in the full kit)
7) new water pump o-ring
9) gallon 50/50 antifreeze or re-use
10) clutch holding tool
11) 30mm 1/2" drive 12 pointed socket
12) 1/2" air gun or long breaker bar
13) new clutch hub staked nut. Or old nut and some thread locking agent
14) black silicone sealant
15) two thin screwdrivers or punches to re tension the anti rattle gear.
16) ten inches of string
17) one or two razor blades for gasket removal.
Remove the lower, left radiator hose and drain the coolant into a bucket. remove the mirrors, fairing and the R/H engine cover and the three houses and drain line. Remove the water pump housing. (catch any trickle of coolant with a rag). remove shifter lever and slide shifter shaft to the right partially and disengage it from the star. Remove the clutch hub and basket. Remove the two 10mm bolts from the ignition trigger and remove the trigger.Remove the star and the arm and spring. Mount the new star noting the orientation of the pin and mount the new arm and spring with a portion of string to pull the spring up and over. Tension the anti rattle gear as described in the manual and hold it under tension while re installing the clutch basket. make sure that the pins on the oil pump sprocket go into the pins in the basket. If the crank gear and basket gear do not fit flush, the oil pump pins are not aligned. Do not tighten. Once aligned correctly, replace the hub and the clutch and use a new nut (staked) or use threadlocker of your choice. (I'd stake it again anyway) Ad a dab of black silicone to the spot where the engine cases fit together and some to the ignition trigger grommets. Replace the trigger. Replace the cover with the new gasket and replace the hoses and coolant, etc. I started and ran my engine before going any further to see that all was O.K. No new noises and slick shifting should be the result.
Great shifting!!
This mod allows for NO water to get into your oil. Also be careful to not let any gasket chunks fall inside.

Twitchy 05-20-2016 06:53 AM

Finally getting around to installing my FP Shift Star kit. 1 question though, in the instructions it says to stop the clutch transmission shaft from turning, and rotate rear wheel while shifting to check the operation. Is the 'clutch transmission shaft the shaft with the spline that the clutch centre goes onto, or the bush part where the clutch basket goes onto?

I realise it sounds like a stupid question, but on a car I usually refer to it as gearbox input shaft and gearbox output shaft. When I rotate the shaft with the splines, the rear wheel turns which means it is the gearbox output shaft. Obviously a motorbike has a slightly different engine/gearbox configuration, so I did the check by rotating the splined shaft anti clockwise, and went through gears. First to second was a bit dodgy, but the rest were fine. Just wondering if the first to second was just me reaching over the bike to activate the shifter, and not quite lifting it enough to get a complete shift.

And I would love to know how to stop the shaft from turning, rotate the rear wheel AND use the shifter!