Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Extended throttle cables?

Old 07-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Squid

cpl rampage is on a distinguished road
Extended throttle cables?

Any recommendations for what bikes might have throttle cables compatible with the Superhawk, and be a bit/bunch longer? My street fighter hawk came with what i assume are stock cables, and with the way they need to be routed, have gotten kinked from turning right.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:10 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
was told that F4i cables are a bit longer, but never checked to be sure. You can always call MotionPro and have them make you a custom set
Old 07-22-2018, 08:43 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I gave up looking for pre made longer than application throttle cables a long time ago.. Building them is just faster.
And if your not swapping in a non stock throttle or carb, reusing the OEM cable ferrules and adjusters makes it even easier ...
I get my supplies from Flanders Cables for Mechanical Control, throttle cables, brake cables, automation control cables, custom robotic control cables
Look on ebay for a 220v 300watt or more solder pot. Get one with a small pot for faster warm up and less solder open to air.
You will need an adapter, or just cut off the supplied plug and add a US style 220 plug that matches your 220 receptacle at home.
A bar of 50/50 solder and some flux.
Tooling wise your set of for under $70 cable items can run another $100 for all the bulk materials needed for many cables

A Motion Pro custom dual cable throttle set is about $70 plus shipping.

If your sure you will never again need custom cables or a friend that needs them,,,just but a custom set.
I never met a tool I did not like, so even when more then the part, I almost always choose to tool up and buy supplies

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-22-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 AM
Squid

cpl rampage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
was told that F4i cables are a bit longer, but never checked to be sure. You can always call MotionPro and have them make you a custom set
Cool, thanks for the info! I was looking for info on the F4i cables and apparently an upgraded length swap for them is is the 929 throttle cables, so I went ahead and bought a used set on ebay. Hopefully that gives me a ton of extra length to route the cables however I need, and I can always pick up the F4i cables or have my 929 cables shortened.

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
I gave up looking for pre made longer than application throttle cables a long time ago.. Building them is just faster.
And if your not swapping in a non stock throttle or carb, reusing the OEM cable ferrules and adjusters makes it even easier ...
I get my supplies from Flanders Cables for Mechanical Control, throttle cables, brake cables, automation control cables, custom robotic control cables
Look on ebay for a 220v 300watt or more solder pot. Get one with a small pot for faster warm up and less solder open to air.
You will need an adapter, or just cut off the supplied plug and add a US style 220 plug that matches your 220 receptacle at home.
A bar of 50/50 solder and some flux.
Tooling wise your set of for under $70 cable items can run another $100 for all the bulk materials needed for many cables

A Motion Pro custom dual cable throttle set is about $70 plus shipping.

If your sure you will never again need custom cables or a friend that needs them,,,just but a custom set.
I never met a tool I did not like, so even when more then the part, I almost always choose to tool up and buy supplies
I have used flanders before, they made a custom length brake cable for my other Honda (81 CM400E with a front drum), I am hoping I can get the 929 cables to work, but If not I might just send them or the stock cables to flanders. We do have a good solder pot setup at work, if it comes down to it, maybe I can make my own like you say. I was sketched out about doing it my self on the brake cables on my old bike, but there is a lot less tension on throttle cables, plus they are "somewhat" redundant with the push pull. Thanks for the info either way, and I will update with some pics comparing the cables, since I couldn't find anything online.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cpl rampage
Cool, thanks for the info! I was looking for info on the F4i cables and apparently an upgraded length swap for them is is the 929 throttle cables, so I went ahead and bought a used set on ebay. Hopefully that gives me a ton of extra length to route the cables however I need, and I can always pick up the F4i cables or have my 929 cables shortened.

I have used flanders before, they made a custom length brake cable for my other Honda (81 CM400E with a front drum), I am hoping I can get the 929 cables to work, but If not I might just send them or the stock cables to flanders. We do have a good solder pot setup at work, if it comes down to it, maybe I can make my own like you say. I was sketched out about doing it my self on the brake cables on my old bike, but there is a lot less tension on throttle cables, plus they are "somewhat" redundant with the push pull. Thanks for the info either way, and I will update with some pics comparing the cables, since I couldn't find anything online.
Ya I don't do brake cables either, nor clutch.
But throttle cables, wither I do them the old way and silver solder the ends on, or how I do it now with solder pot, I have never had one fail at the ends i installed.