SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Exhaust questions (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/exhaust-questions-29517/)

calguzzi2007 11-30-2012 10:38 PM

Exhaust questions

I'll am new here, but been riding for 30 plus years. Pick up a 2002 Superhawk in June. It has 2 into 1 into 2 with D and D slipon. Has anyone have 2 into 2 exhaust on their Superhawk. Would it run better with 2 into 2 exhaust than a 2 into 1 into 2? I was going to make a 2 into 2 out of the stock exhaust. I am tool and die maker and can mig and tig weld. Thanks

smokinjoe73 12-01-2012 07:49 AM

I do think the bike runs better 2 into 2 since the header length can be more equalized and volume increased, but it should have a crossover pipe.

twist 12-01-2012 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 345596)
I do think the bike runs better 2 into 2 since the header length can be more equalized and volume increased, but it should have a crossover pipe.

here is a good question I've been waiting for! I think the engineers at Honda know their mechanics but I have wondered what would happen with the crossover further back from the mufflers, kind of like the sportster? No cross over would be a dragon to balance and tune, but I have seen race bikes with no crossover at all.

smokinjoe73 12-01-2012 12:58 PM

TMK the crossover adds resonance volume so the shockwave from combustion has more room to dissipate and be damped. Kinda the same reason pod filters dont work as well as an airbox with volume to it.

In my experience with any twin 2 into 1 loses low end which is the whole point of having a twin. I have 2 hawks one with each and the 2 can system is way easier to tune. The 1 can feels like an inline 4 by comparison.

twist 12-01-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 345609)
TMK the crossover adds resonance volume so the shockwave from combustion has more room to dissipate and be damped. Kinda the same reason pod filters dont work as well as an airbox with volume to it.

In my experience with any twin 2 into 1 loses low end which is the whole point of having a twin. I have 2 hawks one with each and the 2 can system is way easier to tune. The 1 can feels like an inline 4 by comparison.

does that mean the 2 into 1 has the peaky rpm feel of an inline?

smokinjoe73 12-01-2012 01:50 PM

Yeah, my devil carbon single unit is flat til upper rpm then rips your arms out. Impressive but I would rather torque.

nath981 12-01-2012 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 345612)
Yeah, my devil carbon single unit is flat til upper rpm then rips your arms out. Impressive but I would rather torque.

what's your set up because I haven't experienced that loss of torque........maybe my gearing though?

I put a hundred+ miles in today, first time i had a chance to wring it out since main and pilot changes, and it is running awesome all the way through low to high end. You can see the present set up in my signature below.

I have stayed with the high octane which I tried a couple weeks ago when I had hawks carb set up and the new 2 into1 exhaust, and have plaqnned to stay with 93 til i get used to the performance. Then i will go back and run a few tanks of 87 to see what happens.

So right now with the 93, the foam filter and cut flap, the new carb set up below, the bike is running strong all the way bottom to top, SOP dyno.

calguzzi2007 12-06-2012 11:50 PM

Thanks all for the reply.

nath981 12-07-2012 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by calguzzi2007 (Post 345826)
Thanks all for the reply.

yeah and since you're skilled at fabrication, can we expec t that you might be willing to experiment and share your findings?haha

The main thing for me(2 into 1)is the reduced rear weight in terms of improved handling, but the D&Ds are hopefully way light compared to the heavy OEM cans anyway.

I never thought is would make that much difference, but if you like the twisties, getting rid of the ass-end weight is a must do mod! Now handles like a good 600.