SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Exhaust question ... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/exhaust-question-12447/)

TwinSpeedJunkie 08-23-2007 09:05 PM

Exhaust question ...

Pardon my ignorance, but will a slip-on system that was originally intended for use on a RC51 work with the VTR1000?

Hawkrider 08-23-2007 09:24 PM

Nope. :search:

captainchaos 08-24-2007 03:55 AM

If you were to put the aftermarket midpipes side by side for both bikes the right side is about identical, but the angle of bend into the header is noticeably different on the left side. I haven't actually tried to fit them up but I've read the diameter where they slip on to the header may also be different.

Randman 08-24-2007 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 127121)
Nope. :search:

+1:rolleyes:

TwinSpeedJunkie 08-24-2007 05:26 AM

Thanks guys.

Hawkrider 08-24-2007 05:40 PM

Diameter is different.

swordfish 08-24-2007 10:22 PM

it can be done depending on what pipes they are. I have hindle highmount titaniums for an rc. didn't know for sure that they were for the rc instead of the hawk for a long time. I just thought I was missing some connecting parts. anyway, it can be done but it will be a battle. I finally got mine to work but only after I resorted to using car exhaust clamps, as well as a car exhaust extension piece. (cause one side is longer than the other) and lots of synthetic heat resistant gasket goo(can't remember the name at the moment). its really more trouble than its worth. the only reason I persisted was because I got them off ebay and I couldn't afford to get another pair after I bought these. but now they work great and sound even better. but they still don't sit exactly even on both sides.

superbling 08-25-2007 08:07 AM

The diameter and mounting points are different but I've done it two different ways.

First, I modded stock rc cans to fit (see avatar) and later I added RC mufflers to aftermarket superhawk mid-pipes (both high and low versions).

swordfish 08-25-2007 11:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I don't know if you'll be able to see or not but there are marks on the cans from where the clamps held the pipes on whatever bike had them before mine and as you can see, its not the same. the connection pic looks uglier than it does now. instead of the 3 clamps you see, now there is only one car clamp. the stock clamp was way too weak to lock down the pipes. it might look like a mess but trust me its solid. you can see the car exhaust extension between the midpipe and the header. as for the tail I got the cans pretty even but not perfect. and it is not getting any better than this. I've tried everything and if they aren't uneven like that, they won't hook up underneath. after alot of fiddling, they don't leak, and now the bike is jetted for them so it runs great. they sound good too even if they weren't meant for this bike. but like I said. it was a long long battle sorting out all the little issues.