SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   exhaust problem (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/exhaust-problem-9147/)

jmalys 07-16-2006 10:45 PM

exhaust problem

I have a 2000 hawk with jardine rt one high mounts. I was riding tonight and noticed quite a bit of backfiring. Where the exhaust pipe connects to the header was loose (the part right near the chain to the header coming off the cylinder towards the rear of the bike). Anyway I tried to tighten it and I could not get it tight enough to stay. I seems like there was some kind of baffle or spacer in there that might have fallen out. Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks

Justin

swordfish 07-16-2006 11:01 PM

I had the same problem with my set of hindles. I'm not advocating you do this, because it might not be the best solution but this is what I did: go to an autoparts store, buy the correct size tightening clamp for a car exhaust. (they are much more durable, but a bit heavy) make sure your pipe is on the header as far as you can get it without letting your chain rub on it. lock that sucker down within an inch of its life. and if need be, apply some high temp silicon sealant(hardware store) in between the two pipes before you put it on. again, I only know it worked for me.

cat0020 07-17-2006 04:45 AM

Shouldn't there be an exhaust gasket between the header and the muffler connection? Is the exhaust gasket still in place?

jmalys 07-17-2006 06:22 AM

Yeah

Yeah your probably right, that must be it because I don't see one in there, although, how the hell did it fall out I wonder?

Anyway, thanks!

SNGPerformance 07-21-2006 07:04 AM

If the clamp was loose it may have gotten push up inside the mid-pipe. I don't think it could slide down under the shock (it's been awhile since I looked at my bike).

captainchaos 07-21-2006 03:48 PM

I'm not sure about the polished, ti, or carbon ovals that jardine makes, but I know the round powdercoated black rt-ones with the chrome midpipes don't need/use the gaskets in the midpipes where they slip onto the header. I've had two pairs of those on two different bikes and neither used the gaskets. Some brands do and some don't. I've had a bunch of them and if I remember right two bros, leovinci, devil and stock cans use them but jardine (at least the round black ones) and d&d do not. For those that don't use them yeah you just need to tighten them down as much as possible. Patience is always required, especially with high mounts and fiddling/tweaking has always been required to get them perfect even with brand new ones, at least in my experience.

Blurr 07-25-2006 11:28 PM

I have the same ones and the left hand side on just doesnt want to go in all the way and its leaking....the bike backfires a lot and well seems to idle higher. The bike had D and Ds on it and took them off for the jardines

swordfish 07-27-2006 08:32 PM

well I'm glad I'm not the only one that had problems getting the highmounts on. I'm telling you, get some synthetic sealant, slap it all over the connecting parts of the pipes and lock them down like they slapped your momma. the stock clamps can get flimsy when you really crank down on them. car exhaust clamps are much stronger, and you can tighten them down tighter.