SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Electrical Issue/Engine Trouble (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/electrical-issue-engine-trouble-28318/)

JDH5830 05-17-2012 03:46 PM

Electrical Issue/Engine Trouble

A few days ago I went to start the bike. It turned over a few times before making a clanking noise, and ultimately not starting. Then the battery was completely dead, and would not turn over at all. Yesterday, I took a voltage meter to it. The voltage on the battery was 10.xx. I put a charger on it, and the voltage increased to 13.xx. The bike started. I shut it off and it would not start again. Voltage read 12.xx.
Today, I replaced the regulator because a friend suggested that the regulator was a common problem. With the new regulator on the bike, and the bike not turned on, the voltage read 12.xx but would not turn over once again. Charged it up. Voltage quickly increased to 13.9. The bike turned over just fine. Shut off the bike, waited 10 seconds, voltage dropped to 12.xx, and bike wouldn't start again. Charged it up, started it just fine, and let it run 5-10 minutes. Bike makes a metalic clanking noise and hesitates while idling.
Also, with the key off and the charger on the battery, the battery voltage sits at 13.9, charger current equals 3amps. When the key is turned on, the voltage starts to drop below 12.5, and the charger current increases up to 6amps(charger current limit). Is it normal to draw 6amps with the key on?

Josh

GTS 05-17-2012 04:28 PM

The amp draw doesn't sound to out of spec I don't think. It sounds like you could have a bad battery, but the metalic clunking is what concerns me. However it's super hard to digo something you can't hear. Can you describe the noise you're hearing better? Almost makes me wonder if your CCT went bad or something.

wsharpman 05-17-2012 04:58 PM

sounds familliar (without hearing it) to what I went through...first your regulator frigged up your battery. then you bought a regulator (hopefully a good mosfet one) and still didn't replace the burnt battery....when reg goes it screws battery up! even though the battery may seem to be right it aint. Been there done that.

JDH5830 05-17-2012 04:59 PM

I would hope the battery isn't bad. It is brand new. Just replaced it at the beginning of this season. I also would hope it's not the CCT because I replaced it when I bought the bike at the beginning of last season.
It's really hard to explain the knocking noise. When I sit on the bike with it idling, it occasionally makes a clanking noise and I can feel a tap by my left thigh. With the clanking noise comes a slight hesitation in the engine production. For the entire year last year, the bike would do the same thing, but always at 3,500rpms, and always when it was cool out(never if it was warmer then 60-65).

wsharpman 05-17-2012 05:02 PM

lol I had a brand new battery in mine (costly) when my reg went bad, doesn't matter new or not...I had to buy another ... As for clanking Mine wasn't so much a clanking sound but the hesitation was there (possibly from not a good fire) but all was well after I changed reg and new battery

RWhisen 05-17-2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by JDH5830 (Post 332750)
I would hope the battery isn't bad. It is brand new. Just replaced it at the beginning of this season. I also would hope it's not the CCT because I replaced it when I bought the bike at the beginning of last season.
It's really hard to explain the knocking noise. When I sit on the bike with it idling, it occasionally makes a clanking noise and I can feel a tap by my left thigh. With the clanking noise comes a slight hesitation in the engine production. For the entire year last year, the bike would do the same thing, but always at 3,500rpms, and always when it was cool out(never if it was warmer then 60-65).

What type of CCT did you put in? If manual is it adjusted correctly?

JDH5830 05-17-2012 07:45 PM

I am not sure about what kind of CCT it is. They are silver with red tops. I had a guy do it for me when he was working on my carbs/jet kit.

8541Hawk 05-17-2012 07:51 PM

The battery has a dead cell..... the r\r took it out and the bike will not run correctly until you replace it. So wsharpman called it correctly ;)

8541Hawk 05-17-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 332755)
What type of CCT did you put in? If manual is it adjusted correctly?

This also sounds like another issue you are having, improper manual CCT adjustment

JDH5830 05-18-2012 05:28 AM

That makes sense about the battery. Thanks for the response.
If it is adjusted improperly, what would it be doing to make that sound? Is it an easy adjustment?

GTS 05-18-2012 08:24 AM

The CCT wouldn't make noise that's associated with a hesitation though. It could be coughing back in the carbs. It doing it more when cold further leads me to belive that. Try turning your pilot screws out a quarter turn and see if it gets better. If it gets better but doesnt' go completely away turn them out a little more until it goes completely away. You can also test this by pulling the choke out a little and see if it cures it.

Since I adjusted the needles down a half a position on my bike it's coughing in the carbs now so I need to adjust my fuel screws a little. Just haven't had a chance to try it yet. Runs perfect everywhere else but at very low throttle position and up to about 3K RPM I get that coughing and associated hesitation.

8541Hawk 05-18-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by JDH5830 (Post 332796)
That makes sense about the battery. Thanks for the response.
If it is adjusted improperly, what would it be doing to make that sound? Is it an easy adjustment?

If they are set too loose the sudden declination caused by the misfire could cause the chains to slap which could cause the noise you are hearing.

aja 05-18-2012 10:16 AM

Carb farts. What carb work and jetting was done?

JDH5830 05-19-2012 07:43 AM

How do I go about tightening the CCT?
The carbs were pretty gummed up, so I just had them cleaned, and Stage 1 jet kit installed.

aja 05-20-2012 07:16 PM

If it is a stock cct, you don't. And its more than tightening, its settin the right tension you should do(if they're manual)

saige 05-20-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by JDH5830 (Post 332917)
How do I go about tightening the CCT?
The carbs were pretty gummed up, so I just had them cleaned, and Stage 1 jet kit installed.

why did you put stage one kit in it,do you have after market exhaust or full system.
is it running better with the kit in it.

JDH5830 05-21-2012 08:57 AM

I bought it with aftermarket exhaust on it, and then added the jet kit. It runs pretty well other than the above issues.

GTS 05-21-2012 01:07 PM

Even with a jet kit you'll have to do the fine tuning yourself. Have you tried adjusting the pilot screws yet?