SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   eBay Tire Pressure Guage recommendations (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/ebay-tire-pressure-guage-recommendations-30665/)

memmakersorg 06-28-2013 12:06 AM

eBay Tire Pressure Guage recommendations

Hi any recommendation on Tire Pressure Guages:

I was looking at the following:
PSI:0-10 Car Bike Bicycle Tyre Air Pressure Gauge Dial Analog Flexi Hose Valve

Thanks.

HRCA#1 06-28-2013 06:14 AM

It seems silly to go to China for an item you can get from Cycle Gear or Harbor freight for a few dollars more, and usually on sale.

Wolverine 06-28-2013 06:25 AM

Total junk IMO. I use one of these for airing down our Jeep tires. Works excellent and is consistently precise.

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...8%20arb508.jpg

E.Marquez 06-28-2013 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by memmakersorg (Post 357901)
Hi any recommendation on Tire Pressure Guages:

I was looking at the following:
PSI:0-10 Car Bike Bicycle Tyre Air Pressure Gauge Dial Analog Flexi Hose Valve

Thanks.

Err, not what i would do.

1: It says it is a 0-10 PSI gauge... not going to be very useful on tires that get more then 10 PSI.
2: The gauge shown in the picture is not a 0-10 PSI gauge.. so what are they selling?
3: Does not say what type of gauge it is, nor what the accuracy is.
4: Shipping from china? And it says shipping is $.60 ???? umm, not sure how that is possible.

I don't know where your at in the US, but a local bike shop or dealer will have a decent gauge at a comparable price. Look for one that has a air pressure release button as it makes dialing in pressures much easier. Also see if you can find one that states the gauge accuracy. +/- 2% (.6PSI accuracy at 30PSI in the tire) is good, less better. Many will be marked in the +/- 2-4 PSI
In a standard off the shelf gauge I'd prefer a Bronze Bourdon Tube Gauge Design, vs a spring type.

996thehawk 06-28-2013 06:58 AM

I agree with every one this one. You don't want to skimp on something like that. I believe accurate tire pressure is pretty important, especially on a motorcycle... ANYTHING at a local store would be better than that. I have a Snap On and I highly recommend it, but they aren't cheap. Guaranteed for life though. I had mine replaced for once already.

E.Marquez 06-28-2013 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 996thehawk (Post 357920)
I agree with every one this one. You don't want to skimp on something like that. I believe accurate tire pressure is pretty important, especially on a motorcycle... ANYTHING at a local store would be better than that. I have a Snap On and I highly recommend it, but they aren't cheap. Guaranteed for life though. I had mine replaced for once already.

I like my snap on tools, but your paying for the name and convenience of the truck coming to the shop.
"Guaranteed for life " Nothing off a snap on truck is Guaranteed for life, having purchased Snap on tools for more then 35 years.. 1: the Guaranteed is only as good as the dealer, and 2: snap on is well known for denying warranty claims for a multitude of reasons.. and 3:did your dealer TELL you it was "Guaranteed for life " or do you have product documentation that states that? My Snap on Tire Gauge, Stock#: TPRG60 has no such guarantee :mad:. What model did you get?

Bottom line, for a better gauge, not off a tool truck, look to the auto racing world.. 1/2 PSI increments and 2% accuracy with a large gauge face are out there in the $30 range.

Jack Flash 06-28-2013 07:25 AM

Since you seem serious about tire pressure guage, this is what I recommend. Oil filled, tough, and very accurate....and yes pricy.
But like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Motion Pro Professional Tire Pressure Gauge 2.5" 0-60 Psi | Motion Pro

E.Marquez 06-28-2013 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Flash (Post 357924)
Since you seem serious about tire pressure guage, this is what I recommend. Oil filled, tough, and very accurate....and yes pricy.
But like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Motion Pro Professional Tire Pressure Gauge 2.5" 0-60 Psi | Motion Pro

Not a bad gauge, made in china, decent accuracy and decent Motion Pro price.. I buy a lot of MP tools.... Oh and you can get it for $62 on Amazon with free shipping

BTW that gauge head sells on McMaster Carr for $25 :eek:, the hose is $6 and the connector with air release can be made from a brass T fitting for $9 or so. If your a build it your self type..

996thehawk 06-28-2013 07:43 AM

E.Marquez, Like I said, they replaced it once before. And the only problem was that the glass broke, and someone gave it to me lol. Every Snap On tool that I needed to be replaced under warranty was never a problem with them. Honestly, I was neither told nor have documentation that it was guaranteed , I was simply under the impression it was guaranteed for life considering they fixed anything I gave them back lol. So I take that back, they are expensive but I've never had a problem getting broken tools replaced by them. Thanks for the clarification though, I'll be more careful when I purchase something from them in the future.

E.Marquez 06-28-2013 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 996thehawk (Post 357929)
E.Marquez, Like I said, they replaced it once before. And the only problem was that the glass broke, and someone gave it to me lol. Every Snap On tool that I needed to be replaced under warranty was never a problem with them. Honestly, I was neither told nor have documentation that it was guaranteed , I was simply under the impression it was guaranteed for life considering they fixed anything I gave them back lol. So I take that back, they are expensive but I've never had a problem getting broken tools replaced by them. Thanks for the clarification though, I'll be more careful when I purchase something from them in the future.

Just means you have one of the better dealers. :congrats:

Good on ya, and him for being fair.

Spoot 06-29-2013 10:57 PM

I've used fluid-filled, big dial gauges....but, testing against a properly calibrated gauge showed that it was way off. 2-3 lbs. and it was a pain to get in under hot disc brakes.

I've bought a couple digital gauges that were +/- 1% accurate. But, again, the angle of the head made it difficult to get under the rotors w/o burning the back of your hand.

So...eventually I found a digital gauge (+/- 1%) with a 90 degree head, so it fits easily under the front rotors! Tested against a calibrated gauge...spot on!
Decent price as well.
Ready-To-Go Digital Tire Gauge

But, if you insist on a big round dial and bleed-off valve, but insist on extreme accuracy...then go for their other one. +/- 1/10 of one pound!
Ultra Hi-Tec Digital Tire Gauge

E.Marquez 06-30-2013 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spoot (Post 358059)
But, if you insist on a big round dial and bleed-off valve, but insist on extreme accuracy...then go for their other one. +/- 1/10 of one pound!
Ultra Hi-Tec Digital Tire Gauge

OK so if your really want to have accuracy,, it's not just the gauge you need to be concerned about...

You need a pressure vessel, stainless steel braided line and a zero pressure loss pin valve, like used for servicing shocks or aviation tires and struts.
You precharge the line with pressure, attach the valve, open the pin valve and the preset pressure on the regulator equalize in the tire. (shock or strut) close the pin valve, drain the line and remove the valve.

Otherwise, that hissing sound you hear when you let off on the air chuck.. that's pressure loss from the tire :p
Does it matter? on an airplane, motorcycle shock and F1 tire testing yes... Motorcycle tire with it's large volume , no..,, but as we were speaking of REAL accuracy in pressure setting....that would be a way. :evillaugh:

Spoot 07-03-2013 02:12 PM

well, ya got me there ^ :)

a guy I know locally here, calibrates tools. so he has the "master" things for determining what a certain measurement is...then calibrates the tool accordingly. like the expensive-big-dial tire gauges...

xeris 07-06-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 357917)
Total junk IMO. I use one of these for airing down our Jeep tires. Works excellent and is consistently precise.

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...8%20arb508.jpg

How does the dual, angled head work for you on our bikes? Do you have angled valve stems?

Wolverine 07-06-2013 10:44 AM

I do not have angled stems and have no issues using that gauge. I've never checked my pressures with screaming hot rotors either...

rz_racer_69 07-06-2013 04:57 PM

Lol, I just hook up my bicycle pump with gauge attached. The rubber hose locks on, I usually give it a little air each time to keep it around 33psi +/- 1 on my PPower 3's. Good enough.