SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Disabled PAIR, bike runs terrible! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/disabled-pair-bike-runs-terrible-10589/)

SuperHawkins 02-20-2007 06:56 AM

Disabled PAIR, bike runs terrible!

I followed Greg's instructions on his site and flipped the reed-stops on both PAIR valves and was careful to make sure they were lined up straight when I put the screws back in. I reinstalled the valves and torqued everything down, and left the PAIR hoses attached. Bike ran fine at first but as soon as it got hot, it started backfiring out the exhaust real bad on decel, not normal PAIR pops but actual flaming backfires. And the bike was a lot louder and had NO power. I figured, oh I probably didn't tighten one of the valves down, hence the noise, but when I rechecked them they were both tight and the gaskets seemed intact?

Anyone have any experience with this? I put the valves back the way they were and it runs fine. I'd rather disable the system, but not knowing why this happened, I'd hate to hurt the motor for something as 'non-essential' as the PAIR system.

Thanks guys.

joshn569 02-20-2007 03:05 PM

did you block the vaccuum off?

SuperHawkins 02-20-2007 03:13 PM

Where at? All I did was flip the reed stops, didn't cap anything off

sprhawk neil 02-20-2007 03:19 PM

joshn569 may be ferering to removing the pair system not disabling it read over everything again to double check you're work measure twice cut once!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkrider 02-20-2007 08:16 PM

How about hooking up all the fuel and vacuum lines correctly to the petcock, and also making sure the petcock is open?

SuperHawkins 02-21-2007 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 42401)
How about hooking up all the fuel and vacuum lines correctly to the petcock, and also making sure the petcock is open?

Greg, I don't have to remove the tank to disable the system, I just remove the front 2 bolts and bungee-cord the tank upright to my overhead garage door, and I can reach my arm across the back of the airbox and get to it quite easily.. I've got thin arms and I'm ambidextrous :lol:

So none of those lines have ever come off. When I disabled the system, *ALL* I did was flip the red stops and bolt the things back down, nothing else was altered or taken off

Hawkrider 02-22-2007 07:53 AM

Hmmm, I know that at least in '02 on the RC51 Honda changed their PAIR valve design in that you had to actually bend the reed stops some in order to keep the reed pressed against its seat. The only thing I can recommend is to do a permanent disabling of PAIR by filling the valve cover nipple with JB Weld. I did this on the RC51 and never had any problems.

joshn569 02-22-2007 03:04 PM

you dont you just take the reeds out

Hawkrider 02-22-2007 05:00 PM

No, the reeds stay in. They act as a check valve and ensure exhaust doesn't go back up the hoses into the PAIR valve.

supertwinSH 02-22-2007 05:23 PM

I did the job according Greg's write up and I made some aluminum plates to go inplace of the original cover and plugged the big hole in the air box with a large vac plug and a screw to plug vac line on carbs. Bike runs great

azhawk1 02-22-2007 05:47 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TPO-H...QQcmdZViewItem
This would be the way I go , plan to soon, aamof:D

Speed_Demon 02-22-2007 07:17 PM

The best way is to cap everything off and be sure to use hose clamps. Flipping the reeds actually allows exhaust to flow right out of the valve. Leave the reeds the same way you found them. The easiest way to do it is a rubber stopper in the airbox air outlet and then put the stock hose back over it.

Thumper 02-22-2007 11:44 PM

Does TBR still make the block off plates. I bought a set years ago and installed them. I yanked all of the pair lines, and all the Pair crap under the tank as well and then blocked off the air boxes holes acccordinly. Made a huge difference in how mine ran, and save a few onces of weight to boot.

joshn569 02-23-2007 09:08 AM

yea i just put them in mine, i also took the reed right out

Scooberhawk 02-28-2007 05:20 PM

Superhawkins! Any word? No change?

SuperHawkins 02-28-2007 06:20 PM

Well for the moment I reinstalled the reeds the way they were and rode it...it's back to normal now. I've been hitting the overtime at work so I haven't had time to really play with it and try to figure out just what the hell is going on, I suspect the gasket slipped off on the rear valve and it was leaking....

I'll let yall know if it acts up again and/or I figure out what's going on! :lol: