SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   different gauges (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/different-gauges-26467/)

uebergang 08-26-2011 03:22 AM

different gauges

G'day all, im new to superhawkforum (firestorm here in aus) and think you guys have a realy good thing going here.
Now the fun part....
i'm ressurrecting a yellow vtr1000f '99 into a naked bike and have a cbr954 gauge with out a wiring harness and need to know how to wire up it all up . i've looked at the wiring diagrams for both the vtr and 954 but from what i can see only 6 wires correspond in colour and use, but in saying that im not that electricaly minded so might be way out. have searched and read alot about this here and in google but nothing realy helps or is straight forward. so can anyone help out with:
(1) a pic of the back of a 954 gauge with original wiring harness to tell me what wire goes were
(2) how to wire the vtr gauge wires to the 954 gauge.
thanks

7moore7 08-26-2011 06:48 AM

The wiring diagrams should have more than just 6 that correspond in use... Honda does swap the colors around, and there may be a couple of different ones, but for the most part it should all plug in. There are only so many functions that the gauges do, and sometimes the wording on the diagrams is different, but with process of elimination you can probably figure out what goes where.

The cheapest way to wire the gauges in is to pull all of the little wires out of your VTR plugs on the gauge side. Then you can use these plugs and stick the CBR wires in them corresponding to the plugs in you wire harness side. This may take a little bit of time, as the fittings on the tips of the wires can get caught a little bit (you need to take a skinny object and pry the little foot off of the plastic in them off). Good luck!

lazn 08-26-2011 08:50 AM

I think the closest you are going to find on this forum is this build thread my buddy and I made for upgrading to the newer cluster. It should at least help somewhat:
Upgrading to a 01+ instrument cluster - SuperHawk Forum

uebergang 08-26-2011 05:24 PM

thanks mate, i've read Upgrading to a 01+ instrument cluster - SuperHawk Forum prior to asking and it helps but not quite enough lol.
in the wiring diagrams which wires are the top and bottom layers? does it go from left to right, top row then bottom, top, bottom and so on ? and how great is the chance of frying the gauge with poor process of elimination? the 6 wires i found already have the same use and are the same colour, the others i cant be sure.

lazn 08-26-2011 05:37 PM

Well the CBR cluster will be different than the VTR cluster, but from that link you should be able to get what each color of the VTR wiring harness does.

7moore7 08-26-2011 05:56 PM

I worded that poorly...

What I meant by process of elimination is to go through both wiring diagrams, follow the wires/colors to their origins and you can figure out what they are (for example, they may be labeled differently at the gauges, but both go the turn signal switch, so you know that that one is the turn signal wire).

uebergang 08-26-2011 07:25 PM

i have all the wiring on the vtr side understood page 370 of the manual (colours and what they do) the cbr wiring diagram sucks balls. ill paypal $30 for some one to tell me a vtr to 954 http://www.fireblades.org/forums/attachments/honda-fireblade/43479d1277526038-929-954-wiring-diagrams-9542003wiringdiagrameuropean.jpg

uebergang 08-27-2011 05:00 PM

no one wants $30?

Tweety 08-28-2011 03:23 AM

Paypal to markus_nilsson@msn.com

Code:

Wg – (N/C) Unknown function, possibly integrated flasher relay?
Gr – Ground
Y/G – Tacho
Bl/Br – Lighting (possible to swap with Br/W, not 100% sure on order)
Br/W (VTR Br) – Ignition Sense
P/G - Speedo
G/Bu - Temp
R/G – Battery (memory)
G/Bl – Ground (same color or green)
Bl – Ground (same color or green)
Br/Bl – Fuel Warning
Orange – Turn L
Bl/Bu (Bu VTR) - Highbeam
Lg/R – Neutral
Bu/R - Oil
Lb – Turn R
W/Bu – N/C FI error

uebergang 08-28-2011 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by uebergang (Post 312623)
i have all the wiring on the vtr side understood page 370 of the manual (colours and what they do) the cbr wiring diagram sucks balls. ill paypal $30 for some one to tell me a vtr to 954 http://www.fireblades.org/forums/attachments/honda-fireblade/43479d1277526038-929-954-wiring-diagrams-9542003wiringdiagrameuropean.jpg

tweety. can you clarify a bit more.... the 15 vtr wire colours to the 19 cbr954 wire colours. will be happy to pay for that info like i said in the quote^.

Tweety 08-28-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by uebergang (Post 312713)
tweety. can you clarify a bit more.... the 15 vtr wire colours to the 19 cbr954 wire colours. will be happy to pay for that info like i said in the quote^.

If you look at my post, I have listed all the 19 wires on the CBR gauge, and on two of them noted the different color on the wire to match it to on the VTR... (Color codes are in the wiring diagram)

Correction: I have listed 17... That's all I can find on the wiring diagrams, and I'm unsure where you get 19 from, is it possible that you have a few double wires? Grounds tends to be doubled up...

A couple of the wires are extra grounds, and can be hooked to the green wire where there is no matching wire on the VTR as i have noted...

The CBR gauge has no indicator for the sidestand, and the VTR has no FI error codes, so there will be a few wires left over on either side, the ones on the CBR side are marked as not connected (N/C)...

All in all, match all wires to the same color, add this info, and it's done... Then just safely isolate off the unused wires, to avoid shortcircuits...

The two wires for lighting are different only in such a way that one turns on and off the gauge lights with the lights, I'm unsure if the US spec VTR has that function or not, and how it's hooked up, so test those two wires in both position...

If you want to pay me or not is your choice, I wasn't taking that part seriously... ;)

uebergang 08-28-2011 04:36 PM

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/attachments/honda-fireblade/43479d1277526038-929-954-wiring-diagrams-9542003wiringdiagrameuropean.jpg in this picture theres 19 wires. the the 954 pic^ these's no 954 green wire, but theres a grey(goes to the turn signal switch to the W), a white-red(goes to the engine management ECM) and a orange-yellow(also straight to the ECM). so im guessing i dont need the ECM ones, but the grey? i dont joke with money, u'll get it. also do you know what wires are the top row and what are the bottom row, i dont have the plug... thanks for your time mate

Tweety 08-29-2011 12:10 AM

How about you try your own two links? They both lead to a leach warning... Ie you can't link that way, because no one can see the images... You either need to copy the image to your computer and upload it here, or link to the thread where i can view the images...

Tweety 08-29-2011 01:11 AM

Nevermind, I found a better 945 wiring diagram... So here's a new list with all 19 wires...

Some of them, you have to try out yourself, since I have no gauge to play with, I have given as much info as I can get from the wiring/manual as to what they do...

The immobiliser flasher is just a bulb, so when that gets 12V it lights up... Ie use a battery, off the bike... Just hook up the grounds and apply 12V to identify and test the unknown (grey, W/R, W/Gr) and to check which is supposed to be ignition, and lighting of (Br/W, Bl/Br)...

As to where they go on the plug... Sorry I haven't got the faintest, there is no help in the manual or wiring diagram, so the only way there is to use a multimeter and test, unless you buy the plug/wiring harness... And like I said, I have no gauges to play with, otherwise I could easily have identified the lot for you...

Code:

Bl/Bu (Bu VTR) – Highbeam Indicator
Bl (Gr VTR) – Ground
Orange – Turn L
Br/W (VTR Br) – Ignition Sense
Bl/Br – Lighting (possible to swap with Br/W, not 100% sure on order)
Lb – Turn R
Lg/R – Neutral Light
Gr/Bl – Ground
P/G – Speedo Signal
Y/G – Tacho Signal
W/R - N/C Unknown function, either FI related or immobiliser warning light.
W/Gr – Not verified, probably supplies power to part of the gauges, comes directly from fusebox, I would try without connecting, but otherwise tie to either Br/W or Bl/Br depending on what is powered.
Grey – N/C Not verified, probably internal flasher relay, should most likely be left unconnected.
G/Bu – Temp Sensor
Br/Bl – Fuel Warning
W/Bu – N/C FI Error code
Bu/R – Oil Warning
O/Y - N/C Unknown function, either FI related or immobiliser warning light.
R/G – Battery (Clock & memory)

uebergang 08-29-2011 01:53 AM

k thanks, dont know about the link, works when im loged in to fireblades... could follow what it says in the link to get there, but thats a bitch, i know. have sent you a email awile ago about the payment

uebergang 08-29-2011 02:23 PM

$30 has been sent from paypal

uebergang 09-19-2011 09:20 PM

bought a 954 plug. all done and running but have a solid red light next to the neutral light, is there a fix? also the temp reads 132C when its cold (knew it would be out).
finding a 954 temp senser atm..... still its a big upgrade and ended up being $50 cheaper all up

Tweety 09-20-2011 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by uebergang (Post 314395)
bought a 954 plug. all done and running but have a solid red light next to the neutral light, is there a fix? also the temp reads 132C when its cold (knew it would be out).
finding a 954 temp senser atm..... still its a big upgrade and ended up being $50 cheaper all up

The solid red light is most likely the temp warning... A 954 temp sensor isn't going to fit, since the VTR has a separate sensor for the gauges with a totaly different thread, but you can wire the ECT from a CBR to replace the stock one, and making both the gauges and ECU happy at the same time, since the ECT's have the same thread...