SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Desulfating battery charger (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/desulfating-battery-charger-33586/)

smokinjoe73 10-19-2015 11:11 PM

Desulfating battery charger

Looking for a new battery charger. Float/ maintainer.

Saw the batteryminder that has desulfation sine wave function.

Anyone have a good charger maintainer they could recommend?

Jack Flash 10-20-2015 06:42 AM

Yuasa. My battery is approaching 10 years know. :shock:

E.Marquez 10-20-2015 07:23 AM

Optimate 6

I own the industry gold standard a Christie C2536D2, and while I love it for what it does.....I have three Optimate 6 chargers that do a great job of maintaining and will desulfate a powersport battery.. Battery must be disconnected from the bike as otherwise the charger will do its full deal which includes pulses of 16v

skokievtr 10-20-2015 09:13 AM

IMO and experience, a battery that has sulfated will die sooner than later even after treatment from the best charger with a desulfation function and a typical motorcycle battery should not receive more than 1.5A and 14.7V when charging.

The most readily available and reasonably priced US made (I believe) smart charger is the Deltran Battery Tender 2. It has served me well and has an excellent warranty and great tech support. I've seen them for less than $45 shipped. Stay away from the Cycle Gear chargers.

E.Marquez 10-20-2015 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 391367)
IMO and experience, a battery that has sulfated will die sooner than later even after treatment from the best charger with a desulfation function and a typical motorcycle battery should not receive more than 1.5A and 14.7V when charging.

The most readily available and reasonably priced US made (I believe) smart charger is the Deltran Battery Tender 2. It has served me well and has an excellent warranty and great tech support. I've seen them for less than $45 shipped. Stay away from the Cycle Gear chargers.

Battery chargers made by the largest powersport battery maker, Yuasa have a pulse up to 16v function as part of there maintenance and recover function.

So besides the thousands of hours of R&D from non battery makers that build high end chargers which charge and maintain Motorsport battery's to high end storage cells that cost each what the avg super hawk costs. These folks not in the battery sales business, who build and support chargers/ maintainers which have pulse voltage higher the 14.7 v.. The battery manufacturers do the same.

All that coupled with more than hundred battery's a year I bring into service, maintain, replace have shown me, the method works very well.
To each his own, but may I suggest, you do some research and see if there is info out there that may change your mind.

For a maintainer only I agree, the Deltran unit works very well... I use 6 of them at the house for all of the non vehicle equipment that has a battery. Great choice and recommendation

skokievtr 10-20-2015 10:00 AM

Erik,

Deltran is now a Lithium battery "manufacturer" and also know a thing or two about batteries.

I'm glad you have had good luck with your Yuasa charger (who actually came out with that unit well after Deltran sold the first smart charger), and I have tried the Yuasa but maybe the couple of batteries I tried them on were too far gone. I've also tried a couple of others. The chief engineer at Deltran told me personally that desulfation is a loosing battle most times due to plate damage that occurs above the sulfation line.

Battery Tender - Frequently Asked Questions

Cheers

E.Marquez 10-20-2015 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 391371)
Erik,

Deltran is now a Lithium battery "manufacturer" and also know a thing or two about batteries.

I'm glad you have had good luck with your Yuasa charger (who actually came out with that unit well after Deltran sold the first smart charger), and I have tried the Yuasa but maybe the couple of batteries I tried them on were too far gone. I've also tried a couple of others. The chief engineer at Deltran told me personally that desulfation is a loosing battle most times due to plate damage that occurs above the sulfation line.

Battery Tender - Frequently Asked Questions

Cheers

Sorry, I think wires got crossed.. :p
I never said I used battery tender for desulfation .. And I don't use a Yuasa, and I never said Deltran did not make batteries, and of course lastly, we were not discussing Lithium battery's far as i know..in this thread...

I use my christie or the Optimate 6 chargers/ maintainers/ recovery units for battery maintaining or recovery. Can they take a dead damaged shorted, warped plate battery and make it serviceable, NO of course not. Can they recover a battery that has sulfation? Yes they can..Can they recover ALL damaged sulfated batteries? Of course not.. Absolute statements are silly.

And I use only battery charger designed for bringing a new battery into service, never a maintainer (Deltrain) or in service battery "charger"
How you bring a battery into service greatly affects it's service life.

If you're satisfied with the process you use, then it works for you. :)

Jack Flash 10-21-2015 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 391373)
How you bring a battery into service greatly affects it's service life.

How so very true. I keep explaining to customers how to bring a battery to life, and service it following that....they never listen. Well, very few do.

Trickedouthawk 11-03-2015 04:06 PM

Hey Jack can you explain in greater detail the best method of bringing a battery into service? Not really even sure what that means unless were talking about pouring the electrolytes then waiting a few hours then charging.

Trickedouthawk 11-03-2015 04:15 PM

Also did a lot of research a year or so ago on desulfation and was left to believe that the pulse generation part is just a gimmick meant to sell more chargers. By simply charging the battery for a straight week on a regular charger does the same vs one with the desulfation chip. Personally I have brought back a few batteries by just charging them for a week or two. Food for thought.

Oh by the way my portable Centech heavy duty charger from Harbor Freight has been great