SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Custom Exhaust Questions (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/custom-exhaust-questions-29250/)

Squid 10-01-2012 10:26 PM

Custom Exhaust Questions

First off let me say: I agree that Honda or any manufacture puts R&D into performance of the powertrain of alost every motorcycle, I am just trying to go a different route with the exhaust to make it look "cool"

I am thinking about fabing a custom exhaust system for the Hawk. I will leave the front headder pipe follow the right side of the bike and keep the low mount with the Dan Moto can or even maybe a mid with custom exhaust hanger, but I want to have the rear run straight out the back and have the rear can dump out where the tail light is currently, like the RC211V system. This is more for looks than anything, but I do not want to loose and HP / Torque. I dont think that I will be able to tie the two pipes together with out making it look like a hack job. I have a spare OEM subframe and OEM Headder to put back to stock if it doesnt work. I will also be taking it to a shop that does dyno tuning to get accuate readings, and since they will more than likely be "straight piped" they should be able to get accurate A/F mixtures individually...?

So after that all that mumbo jumbo:
Will I loose enough back pressure that I will need to add a restrictor of some sort?
Will different length exhaust tubing affect tuning?
Do you think it will work or is my head in the clouds?
Am I over looking anything?

If you made it this far into this story of a thead, I thank you.
-Squid-

aja 10-02-2012 11:49 AM

So you want one can more or less in the stock position, and one undertail?

If so, the undertail will have more back pressure than the front being that you will need additional bends and additional pipe. As long as you don't add any hot wheels loops or anything with a crazy bend you should be able to tune it.

Some members have an undertail exhaust already. Maybe they can chime in with advice or you can look for one of their threads for info.

Squid 10-02-2012 06:36 PM

That is correct. So having the same length headder on front and rear cylinders is will affect performance / make it harder to tune? I was going to have the rear exhaust just put a slight bend comming out from the port and angle it so when I mount the can the opening is where I want it.

aja 10-03-2012 08:22 AM

You will have to create bends to get the back pressure even. In stock form the front cylinder has more pipe but less bends and the rear has less pipe but more bends, making it equal. When you extend the rear pipe you will need to put the right angle and amount of bends to get it to match the front, and unless you are a mathematical genius it will be a lot of trial and error.

Squid 10-03-2012 05:21 PM

I understand now. I will have to start re-thinking my current plan. Thanks for that info.