SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   CRAP! Forks popped out, how to? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/crap-forks-popped-out-how-31145/)

ebbhead 09-23-2013 11:03 AM

CRAP! Forks popped out, how to?

Yup,

Like a dumbass , I forgot to stick on and tighten the steering stem nut, as I pushed down on the front forks to test an adjustment I madetrying to straighten the front forks, and the frickin springs pushed back and lifted the steering stem and all bout 4inches high and I cant seem to get them to go back down in order to stick the nut back on. I dont see this anywhere in the manual.

Any jelp is greatly appreciated, seems simple enough but I could be mistaken.

sailorjerry 09-23-2013 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ebbhead (Post 362812)
Yup,

Like a dumbass , I forgot to stick on and tighten the steering stem nut, as I pushed down on the front forks to test an adjustment I madetrying to straighten the front forks, and the frickin springs pushed back and lifted the steering stem and all bout 4inches high and I cant seem to get them to go back down in order to stick the nut back on. I dont see this anywhere in the manual.

Any jelp is greatly appreciated, seems simple enough but I could be mistaken.

The stem shouldnt have moved at all.

It has the top steering stem nut, 30mm that holds the top tripple to the stem, then under the top tripple there is a bearing preload nut and a preload lock nut and washer.

So unless you had all of that off then the stem will not move.

If it did move there is something more wrong than you thought.

The steering stem can not go up as it is part of the lower tripple, it can only go down.

my guess is that you had the top tripple tight and the lower loose, when you removed the nut, you slid the forks up in the lower tripple causing the top tripple to rise.

If that is the case just keep the lower loose, get some friends or some rachet strapps to the ceiling( thats how i do it) lift the front of the frame up and let the forks slide back down. loosen up the top tripple to line it up, install nut, get everything properly lined up and tighten everything down now lower the front and you're good.

SIRR1 09-23-2013 07:31 PM

I think he is saying the fork tube cap came off and he can't compress the spring back into the fork tube.

As Sailerjerry mentioned you are going to somehow get the weight off the front end so the spring and spacer slide back into place and to fully extend the fork tube.

Hell I was rebuilding a XR400 fork a few years back and I was trying to get the cap on using a 3 inch pvc spacer to make the forks stiffer, the wrench slipped I shot the cap over my neighbors house and it landed in his front yard, I was damn happy it did not hit me in the face because it would have done some damage...

Ok one way to get the front end off the ground is to lean the bike back on it's kick stand while your buddy sets a stand under the bike and you then carefully set the bike up on the stand, concrete block, log or whatever you have handy to use as a stand.

Good luck and be careful with that fork cap!

SIRR1

smokinjoe73 09-23-2013 07:42 PM

Yeah, are you looking at a lowered bike with all the wieght on the forks, springs sprung? You gotta lift the front end using your 2 strong brothers on the handlebars and tighten the caps with a socket.