SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   cooling system, fan won't kick on (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cooling-system-fan-wont-kick-28234/)

Bandit400man 05-08-2012 04:13 AM

cooling system, fan won't kick on

Anybody have an ideas as to why the fan wouldn't come on? Got the coolant filled an bled I believe, following this site an the service manual. I start the engine, let it idle...temp rises an rises, gets past middle point on dial an keeps climbing. No fan. Thermal protection eventually shuts off the engine. Fan is plugged in, fuse is good.
So what's my next move?

BeerHunter 05-08-2012 06:31 AM

Have a look at chapter 19-18 in the service manual. I believe there is a ground wire coming off the connector near the fan motor. It could have been left unbolted or loose. Corrosion at the ground would also cause the fan to not work. Also, the fan switch may not be connected or faulty. It closes the circuit on the ground side.

I may be uninformed, but I do not know of any thermal protection that will shut the engine down from overheating.

Bandit400man 05-08-2012 08:18 AM

Yeah, def thermal protection cause the first time I just let it go to the red zone an it shut down automatically...a lot of bikes have it in case the thermostat or whatever fails...
But ok thanks for the advice...that's where I'll start when I'm off work

Bandit400man 05-08-2012 08:21 AM

BTW a lil back info, never had this problem till I removed the clutch cover to replace the gasket behind it...had to remove right fairing an that sensor bolted into the cover cause I couldn't locate the other side to unplug it...

Bandit400man 05-09-2012 09:32 AM

It was the Fan thermo switch. Found out after beerhunters advice...an burning the living shit outta my fingers when I jumped the wrong plug to the frame with a twist tie lol

RWhisen 05-09-2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit400man (Post 331985)
It was the Fan thermo switch. Found out after beerhunters advice...an burning the living shit outta my fingers when I jumped the wrong plug to the frame with a twist tie lol

HAHAHAHA Those twist ties heat up pretty quickly don't they?

Bandit400man 05-09-2012 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah...fucker got red hot befor the pain even registered LOL...lucky for me I got tons of vichoden for when my buddys 4wheeler crushed my head and fractured my skull...

Attachment 24808

captainchaos 05-09-2012 04:06 PM

OUCH! Anyway don't feel bad my brand new superhawk back in '99 overheated with 50 miles on it the day it came out of the crate because of a faulty fan switch.

Bandit400man 05-09-2012 04:10 PM

Ohhhh...so its lika...thing huh? LOL Yeah I coulda swore I didnt fudge it up or anything...like, WTF? LOL an there expensive too! Ron wanted @$45 after shipping...that's an OUCH! LOL