SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Converting from a '98 to '02 instrument cluster (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/converting-98-02-instrument-cluster-10497/)

roisman 02-06-2007 06:18 PM

Converting from a '98 to '02 instrument cluster

Hi! Has anyone converted from the old instrument cluster to the '02 and up models? I am considering it because I would like to have a clock and a fuel gauge on my instrument panel? Would it be a really big wiring job? Thanks!!

superbling 02-06-2007 07:41 PM

Yeah, the question has come up several times and I've also looked into it but never gave it a serious shot. You'd need a matching wire harness for starters as the connectors are different. I forgot what the consensus was on the sensors (i.e. were they analog or digital). Do a search for more info.

nuhawk 02-06-2007 07:51 PM

Doug if I remember correctly whether they're digital or analog - it works! However, doesn't there have to be a different sensor in the gas tank to operate a gauge rather than the idiot light?

superbling 02-06-2007 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 41259)
However, doesn't there have to be a different sensor in the gas tank to operate a gauge rather than the idiot light?

Hmm. When I did my VFR tank mod, it's sensor for the fuel gauge was vastly different but the connector was the same IIRC. I didn't run the VFR unit rather used the VTR item instead. Never hooked the vfr unit up but wished I had now. I wonder if I still have it laying around.......

nuhawk 02-06-2007 08:49 PM

Do any of the aftermarket units work well with the Superhawk? I like having a clock and a fuel gauge. It seems that I've seen some used on some of the street fighters the guys are building? I'm already mulling next winter's list!:-D

marmaladedad 02-06-2007 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 41278)
Do any of the aftermarket units work well with the Superhawk? I like having a clock and a fuel gauge. It seems that I've seen some used on some of the street fighters the guys are building? I'm already mulling next winter's list!:-D

The ghetto solution for a clock is to wrap a rubber watch around the triple. Or, remove the plastics/rubber straps, and use double-sided tape to tape the remaining clock to the triple!

shayne 02-08-2007 08:37 PM

I have put two side by side to check this myself. The wiring loom is very different. I decided not to do it, and I am not bad with electrics either. I have done a lot over the years, and have soldering irons etc to do the work.

You will need to be very keen I reckon.

kris-b-crunch 02-09-2007 09:58 AM

Roisman, you will need a new gauge package, engine computer, ignition box, wiring harness, kickstand switch and possibly a few other sensors. The rear subframe is also different for the relocted ecu/spark boxes - two brackets located outside of the subframe near the helmet strap hooks. I'm going through this exact process right now. :sad:

kai ju 02-09-2007 12:27 PM

Having installed a 929 cluster on my VTR I think I can speak with some authority on the subject.
Honda is very good about wire colors for like functions and as such you will have to find the multi pin connector harness for the later gauges and splice it into your current harness. I did mine by adding another plug in to allow easy removal.
Everything switches over except the fuel sending unit/gauge.
You may have to add a key off power source for the clock though.
You currently have a low level sensor as opposed to the fuel level gauge.
As Superbling correctly noted the plug in is then same but you will have to buy the level gauge ( part # 37080-MBB-A20 ) MSRP $51.60 which will bolt directly into the tank.
PM me if you have any additional questions.
Kai Ju