SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Clutch won't engage (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/clutch-wont-engage-7346/)

cb21983 07-14-2005 10:53 PM

Clutch won't engage

I just got done putting a new front sproket in my bike. I decided to bleed the clutch line since the clutch fluid was almost black. Well needless to say I cannot get my clutch to engage now. I have tried everything I could think of and nothing seems to be working. I have no pressure in the clutch line at all. Also the shaft the clutch slave cyl. pushes on came out when I removed the guard. Is there any way that could go back in wrong?

penst8grad 07-15-2005 07:09 AM

Are you sure the line is bled?

cb21983 07-15-2005 09:24 AM

Re: Clutch won't engage

Not completely.?.? I tried bleeding the line myself for almost an hour and I never got any bubbles to come out. I got it to the point now where the clutch will engage but not fully. What is the best way to bleed the clutch line?

penst8grad 07-15-2005 11:26 AM

Spend $20 and get a mighty vac at pep boys or one of those car places. I think they are well worth the $$. Took me about 5 minutes to change my clutch fluid.

kai ju 07-15-2005 06:35 PM

I just send you a pm regarding the fairing parts and in case you didn't get it, yes they are still for sale.
As far as your clutch is concerned, do you mean that it won't disengage ?
If so, be sure to bleed the master cylinder banjo bolt.
Simply wrap a shop rag around the line to catch the brakefluid and then, with the clutch lever pulled in, loosen the banjo bolt.
You should hear and see brake fluid come out around the crush gasket.
Repeat this process till you get nothing but solid fluid.
Remember to refill the resevoir.
Let me know how it works out.
Kai Ju

inderocker 07-15-2005 08:35 PM

i remember sombody saying when you bleed the clutch your only supposed to pull the lever half way... don't know if that helps but i hope it does... good luck

W-O-T 07-16-2005 05:52 AM

I had this same problem....

first... pop off the master cylinder cap....

What happened to mine is that the fluid is drawn into the line when you pulled the sprocket cover.

I topped of the fluid and then began to slowly work the clutch lever.... took a long time but you will see air coming up thru the fluid resevoir....

Then I bled the system with a mighty vac...

NEVER let the MC go dry... alway top it off when bleeeding

cb21983 07-16-2005 10:24 AM

Well taking into account what I have read from your guys help and what I know from experience. I finally got my clutch to "dis-engage". I was tired when I wrote this post so excuse the terminology of my first two entries. Anyway, I let my bike sit over night plenty of time for any air bubbles to work their way to the upmost part of the system. With the clutch lever all the way out I tilted the bike over on its side as far as I could stand to hold it without dropping it. PRESTO 4 large bubbles came up through the MC and bingo instant pressure in the system. I pumped the clutch a few times to make sure I got and remaining air out topped off the MC put everything back together and now I am getting ready to hit the road. Thanks for the help guys I would't have thought of this idea without it.