SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Clutch Problem Slippage only high speed (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/clutch-problem-slippage-only-high-speed-12743/)

dustinwild 09-21-2007 10:48 AM

Clutch Problem Slippage only high speed

Okay, now this is a tough one. At speeds around 200km/hr, my clutch slips between shifts, and at higher speeds I can feel it release and catch when on the throttle hard. It has been doing it since I got it at 55,000km.... But, I just noticed it doing it in between shifts pretty much only at super high speeds, and between 4-5-6th gears. So, high RPM, high Speed... Anyone ever hear about anything like this, or have this happen? Clutch grabs hard at low speeds, shifts fine at low speeds... It's only when going fast. Which isn't often, but is very annoying.

superbling 09-21-2007 12:05 PM

Sounds like a worn clutch and it will eventually slip at low speeds too. New discs and springs at the very least, plates would probably be a good idea too.

dustinwild 09-21-2007 12:07 PM

But would a worn clutch disengage at high speeds.. Note that it also grabs as hard as it let's go... It almost feels like the chain is skipping.. Not that it is, but that would be what it feels like.

superbling 09-21-2007 12:19 PM

Put it in top gear, give it WFO, and tell us what it does.

I'm thinking your clutch is slipping to the point that it overheats and grabs abruptly.

dustinwild 09-21-2007 12:32 PM

Top gear WFO, pulls good and hard to about 8-9k RPM, then starts to surge. It feels like I am riding along and basically tapping the clutch in, and releasing it. But it's only a 1/10 of a second that it surges. And it's not all the time either. The bike launches hard, can pretty much float the front a few inches in 1st gear with no problems... Grabs super hard in every gear when I clutch, until I get close to my top end. I 1st really noticed it shifting from 6 to 5th, and back and forth while on a high speed ride. Not so much the surging, but the clutch wouldn't engage right away between shifts. Atleast not until we slowed down, then it was fine. I am wondering if it is simply an oil issue. I have been running Lucas Motorcycle Semi Synth. Thinking I should try something new, just to see if that helps. It's just so hard to test that specific problem when you live in a city.. Hehee...

dustinwild 10-02-2007 09:14 AM

Okay..So, I found out what my problems are... I have more then one issue with the bike. Only posting this if anyone else has these issues.

Reason for my bike to be surging only in 6th, is that my 2nd, and 6th gear are related, and second is going, so then I am losing 6th aswell...

Then the clutch is going aswell.. This would explain the slippage between shifts at high speeds.. So, springs and plates...

So, yeah! Anyone want a bike?

8541Hawk 10-02-2007 09:19 AM

Try bleeding the clutch. I had a bit of air in mine and it did almost the same thing.