SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   clutch play (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/clutch-play-26176/)

3amta3 07-18-2011 02:33 PM

clutch play

Here is the noise and play. In my clutch
‪Vtr 1000 clutch slop‬‏ - YouTube

8541Hawk 07-18-2011 03:32 PM

Ummm ok......

3amta3 07-18-2011 03:46 PM

video is now attached

8541Hawk 07-18-2011 10:57 PM

It all looks normal to me.

3amta3 07-19-2011 05:58 AM

the only other thing i have is the starter gear.... the one with the shaft going through it, it moves side to side on the shaftabout 5 mm or so almost like there is a shim missing or something.... every thing else checks out goood IAW the specs. i had some really thin and long metal shavings in the oil, not sure where they came from but look almost like plating foe gears

8541Hawk 07-19-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 3amta3 (Post 309388)
the only other thing i have is the starter gear.... the one with the shaft going through it, it moves side to side on the shaftabout 5 mm or so almost like there is a shim missing or something.... every thing else checks out goood IAW the specs. i had some really thin and long metal shavings in the oil, not sure where they came from but look almost like plating foe gears

Not sure on the starter gear as I just don't remember off hand.

The metal shavings sound pretty normal also as it is some casting flash the was caught by the oil pump screen. I would say most, if not all SH's will have this if the oil pan has never been removed and it is not something to worry about.

3amta3 07-19-2011 02:44 PM

the clatter on acceleration is what i am trying to find. but nothing seams to be out of the ordinary. i did change the water pump chain because it was worse than the oil pump chain. if the carbs are not synced right will that cause the clattering noise in the lower end? i dont know what else to look at??????????????????????????????????

lazn 07-19-2011 04:36 PM

Carb slides are somewhat noisy, and don't hurt anything.. CCTs are a remote possibility..

edit: If it is very loud, my guess is actually the drive chain. I chased that one for a while before I figured it out.

3amta3 07-19-2011 05:40 PM

cct's have been changed out. that was the original noise problem but that was fixed and then this new noise.. i have tightened my drive chain but i did find that it could use to be cleaned or even changed out...
the noise is in the front bottom left end of the bike.....
here is what i have done/changed
1. cct r/r
2. changed water pump chain
3. cleaned a very dirty clutch slave cylinder and replaced seal
4. checked all valve clearances
5. checked sprag clutch
6. starter gears
7. blocked and sealed off chokes
8. removed the pair system
9. checked clutch plates(all good)

maybe changing the drive chain

not sure what else to check or change...i have 60k miles on this, anyone have any precautionary things that should be changed

8541Hawk 07-19-2011 05:55 PM

Does the drive chain have tight spots in it? Also is it over tightened? It should be pretty loose when adjusted properly.

3amta3 07-19-2011 05:59 PM

it is dirty and when you kink it up it holds the kink.. i think it is just dirty but i am going to clean it tomorrow and find out if it will loosen up any, if not i will be replacing it. the slack was taken up as it was hitting the exhaust ] i am also changing the cush drive once the parts come in.

3amta3 07-19-2011 06:00 PM

side note what other bike sprockets will fit the SH? i need a 40 tooth rear sprocket

8541Hawk 07-19-2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by 3amta3 (Post 309432)
it is dirty and when you kink it up it holds the kink.. i think it is just dirty but i am going to clean it tomorrow and find out if it will loosen up any, if not i will be replacing it. the slack was taken up as it was hitting the exhaust ] i am also changing the cush drive once the parts come in.

If it holds the "kink" then the drive chain is shot (or really dirty) and is a very likely source of your noises ;)

3amta3 07-19-2011 06:45 PM

i think i am going to change it out anyways but i figure i could clean it and see how it turns out..... how would that give me my noise though, it is not making sense to me how that would give me engine noise?????

8541Hawk 07-19-2011 07:04 PM

As it passes over the drive sprocket the noise could sound like it was coming from the engine but then again trying to diagnose a noise over the internet is rather difficult at best so I can only give you my best guess.