SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Clutch hose blow out (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/clutch-hose-blow-out-29313/)

Alterego 10-17-2012 05:52 PM

Clutch hose blow out

Heading to work this morning I get about 4 blocks from my house and lose pressure in the hydraulic clutch. Come to a stop sign and that is where the bike sits. Its a big enough leak I cannot just try to bleed and get home. Replacement line is a week away and I don't want to leave the bike where it is. I can't push it home since it's all up hill. Any ideas on getting the bike back home other than towing?

scpt kirk 10-17-2012 06:16 PM

You better pull your skirt up and be a man......Im just joking, that sucks. Ive ran outta gas before and have had to push mine almost 4 miles before. To be honest if you dont tow it, then you are just going to have to dig deep and start pushing. I would help if I was closer but im not.

JamieDaugherty 10-17-2012 06:17 PM

Man, I would just push it. I freak out when my bikes are anywhere except home!

Alterego 10-17-2012 06:44 PM

It's a 10% grade hill up my street. I may have to call up some friends.

saige 10-17-2012 06:54 PM

if you have a extra long single brake line,can attach it,bleed it and ride home,just keep it in straight line with long and wide turns and you be ok to get it home.

E.Marquez 10-17-2012 07:48 PM

put it in N, start, push down hill till it's going a few MPH, click it in to gear.. ride home.. kill swith and let it chug to a stop on a flat, even, solid surface.. it will be jerky, so be ready to get your feet down

Alterego 10-18-2012 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 343463)
put it in N, start, push down hill till it's going a few MPH, click it in to gear.. ride home.. kill swith and let it chug to a stop on a flat, even, solid surface.. it will be jerky, so be ready to get your feet down

I'll give this a shot. Beats pushing!

maniac2313 10-18-2012 05:30 AM

You can also start it in gear and if you find the sweet spot you can get it back to neutral while rolling...

sailorjerry 10-18-2012 06:34 AM

you could also try geting a peice of hose from autozone and 2 brass fittings and hose 4 hose clamps and do a shadetree repair on the line aslong as it blew out somewhere in the middle and not at an end, then just bleed it and ride it home. just use it as a quick fix to make it back.

Jack Flash 10-18-2012 06:47 AM

Marquez has the best solution other then pushing. However, for future reference, motorcycles do not age well if you do not continuously maintain
then on a regular basis. Now I'm not saying you neglected your bike, but even the best kept motorcycle fails now and then.

My sugestion to you is get yourself AAA or something like that, cause you never know when s*** like that is going to happen. Costs a few bucks a year, but your sure to never have to figure out how to take your ride back home if your unlucky on a sweet ride.

Wicky 10-18-2012 09:25 AM

Are you sure it was the hose that blew - Usually it's the slave piston seal that fails.

The clutch has a combination hydraulic hose and pipe.

twist 10-18-2012 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Alterego (Post 343466)
I'll give this a shot. Beats pushing!

google your area for bike tow. Specifically, bike tow. In many cities there are guys who have trailers of rigged up to specifically to get bikes into their trucks. You could always rent a u-haul trailer and use that. Anything is better than leaving the bike on the street. I get all short of breath and jittery when I can't see my bike!