SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   clutch adjustment (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/clutch-adjustment-28460/)

herbvtr1000f 06-01-2012 03:21 PM

clutch adjustment

So my clutch does not engage till the lever is almost released. If I let it out to quick the bike jolts like it is slipping. Is there anyway to adjust the clutch where it engages at? Thanks for all the help.

saige 06-01-2012 03:26 PM

Flush and bleed the lines,there might be air trapped in the system.

herbvtr1000f 06-01-2012 03:29 PM

Thanks I will start with that. What is the best way to bleed it?

GTS 06-01-2012 03:42 PM

If you've got a mighty vac suck all the fluid out of the resivoir and replace it with fresh fluid. Then hook it to the bleeder on the slave cylinder, crack it and start sucking the fluid out. Keep an eye on the fluid at the top to make sure it doesn't empty the resivoir and just keep topping the resivoir off until the fluid coming out down below looks like fresh clean fluid.

saige 06-01-2012 03:52 PM

If no mighty vac,will have to bleed out the same way you do the brakes.

herbvtr1000f 06-01-2012 04:13 PM

I am not use to a cable clutch. All the Honda's I have owned have all been hydraulic. I am going to see if I can borrow my friends airbleeder. I have downloaded the repair manual and will look it over tonight. Thanks for all the responses. Also it is not slipping then. I think it just has air in the system

7moore7 06-01-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 334578)
It sounds like normal hydraulic clutch engagement to me.

+1

GTS 06-03-2012 12:21 AM

There is the little adjuster to adjust how far out the lever is but that's about it. As stated above it does sound normal. If it did have air in the system you have to have it pulled all the way in before it's dissengage.

aja 06-03-2012 12:59 PM

Don't waste your time bleeding. I bled through 2 bottles of brake fluid with no positive results. From what I understand, these bikes don't engage until almost all the way out.

E.Marquez 06-03-2012 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by herbvtr1000f (Post 334567)
So my clutch does not engage till the lever is almost released. If I let it out to quick the bike jolts like it is slipping. Is there anyway to adjust the clutch where it engages at? Thanks for all the help.

1: need to define "almost released." as, has been stated, the SH clutch master cylinder / slave cylinder is by design set up to engage / release in the beginning of lever movement.

By no means is a properly working clutch MC / slave cyl difficult to use on this bike or a cause of "bike jolts like it is slipping", that's just user control.

The SH clutch MC / Slave can be a bit difficult with air in the line, and or contaminates in the slave cylinder.. that cause erratic engagement.

Disassembling the MC and slave, cleaning well with new fluid, reassembling and bleeding air gets you a great feel, very controllable clutch system.

herbvtr1000f 06-03-2012 02:30 PM

I checked the flue and it was nasty. Almost like it had water in it. I used my friends airbleeder and put new fluid in it. As far as where it is engaging of is likeyou said right at the start of the lever being pulled. I guess I just need to get used to it.

8541Hawk 06-03-2012 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by herbvtr1000f (Post 334753)
I checked the flue and it was nasty. Almost like it had water in it. I used my friends airbleeder and put new fluid in it. As far as where it is engaging of is likeyou said right at the start of the lever being pulled. I guess I just need to get used to it.

If it was that bad, you might want to disassemble the slave cylinder to make sure you got all of the old crud out of it.