SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   cluster fuse keeps blowing: isolated to clutch lever (rc51) (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cluster-fuse-keeps-blowing-isolated-clutch-lever-rc51-16842/)

thefauxnarchist 11-25-2008 04:35 PM

cluster fuse keeps blowing: isolated to clutch lever (rc51)

self explanatory, my gauge fuse keeps blowing, thought it was the kickstand switch at first, unplugged that, still did it. today i got a fresh batch of fuses, installed them started her up, worked fine until i pulled in the clutch lever.

symptom is progressive, you can see the power in the cluster fading the further u pull in the clutch. if you pull in all the way, poof. no cluster power. if i pull in half way then let go, it'll be fine.

help anyone? im looking up the clutch assembly schems right now :(

what would happen if i disconnected the clutch switch?

RCVTR 11-25-2008 04:49 PM

It sounds like the wire for the clutch switch is probably touching the chassis somewhere.

If you disable the switch, you won't be able to start the bike in gear, with the clutch pulled in.

thefauxnarchist 11-25-2008 05:00 PM

yeah i just gave it a whirl. unplugged clutch switch, replaced fuses, made sure kill switch was on (so pump + injectors dont engage yet), cluster works! flip engine switch, still good, pull clutch, stlll good (this is where it failed last time), started engine, still good, clutch still pulled in and put it into first, stall, but cluster still good! seems 99% sure that it is either the clutch switch or clutch wires.

i experienced the exact behavior you described rcvtr, cant put it into gear even while holding clutch with the switch unplugged.

Hawkrider 11-25-2008 07:39 PM

Put the kickstand up and you won't stall out. That's the clutch/kickstand interlock there.

thefauxnarchist 11-25-2008 08:04 PM

i've disconnected the kick stand switch already

Hawkrider 11-25-2008 08:39 PM

Disconnecting it is the same as having it down. The neutral switch, the clutch switch, the sidestand switch, and the ignition are all essentially in series.

wcavasos 11-25-2008 08:49 PM

jumper wires? Maybe a good temp fix. Bypass the switches instead of just diconnecting them.

KC-10ENG 11-25-2008 08:59 PM

I was having the same problem with my Hawk, but I related it to the RC front end swap that I did. I also did not re-zip tie the wire bundle back up the the frame when I did the swap. As soon as I rebundled up the wires it quit blowing the fuse. Mine might have been from one of the wires in the bundle getting squished on the steering stops.

Later Dennis

thefauxnarchist 11-25-2008 09:22 PM

hm well heres the thing, if disconnecting the kick stand switch is the same as leaving the stand down, then why was i able to ride with the KSS disconnected? o_O

i thought by disconnecting it, it would might be the same as leaving it down too, so i gave it a whirl and left the stand down, pulled the clutch, dropped it into first. didnt stall and kept riding.

*scratches head* im guessing im just gonna have to figure out how to replace the clutch switch :-\

nuhawk 11-28-2008 10:18 AM

I just replaced my switch. Easiest repair in the book. $9 part.