SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   clunk at low speed (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/clunk-low-speed-31130/)

turbotim 09-20-2013 10:25 AM

clunk at low speed

Not engine. Can't tell if it's from front or rear. Only does it taking off or driving at slow continuous speed. Seems random as I can't do anything to make it happen. I know brake pads need replaced soon. Would they make noise like that when they get worn? Sorry for not much info. Thanks, Tim

Jack Flash 09-20-2013 10:37 AM

Clunk as in skip ? Does it seem internal or external ? May want to check chain, or look for something not well bolted for starters. Just going off not much info.

turbotim 09-20-2013 11:34 AM

Definitely external. Can't feel it, just audible. Any tips on how I can figure out if it is front or rear? I'm guessing it's in the rear because it does not do it when slowing down to a stop. Bike does not skip a beat at all. Thanks, Tim

CruxGNZ 09-20-2013 12:21 PM

While stopped, standing on the bike, engine off, squeeze the front brake and try to move the bike frontwards and backwards. This will tell you if your steering neck is loose (most likely worn bearings). If it is loose, this could cause a clunking noise whenever you hit a bump.

thetophatflash 09-20-2013 12:28 PM

Do you have a rubber grommet on the rear tank mount? It can cause a clunk.

Jack Flash 09-20-2013 12:33 PM

Turbo, once again, not much info. You need to seperate engine noise from bike noise.
Begin with visual check up, and flash light if needed. Take a look at everything and shake it with your hand to see if anything is loose. Then sit on it, and jump on the seat and see if any suspension noise. Roll it forward and brake to see if something move in front suspension Move the bike from side to side between your legs and see.
Then, you may want to start engine, and just rev it on stand, see if it's back fires you hear or noise coming from rear header.

If nothing, at least try and tell us at what RPM's or if the noise is well timed
and what your doing at that precise moment (going straight, turning, braking, etc)

turbotim 10-03-2013 07:05 AM

I took it to the dealer and had them test ride it to see if they recognized the sound. Guy said my chain is shot. Couldn't tell how the front sprocket looked but I'm assuming at 35k it's toast. Not sure if PO replaced them or not. Anyone else had a worn chain/sprocket cause this clunking sound?

Wicky 10-03-2013 08:07 AM

Check the chain and see if it's so loose in drags over the header/link exhaust pipe.

If at 35K it's the original C&S then it's definitely well past is best. Replace C&Ss pronto along with cush drive rubbers before it breaks.

turbotim 10-03-2013 08:26 AM

any reason why I can't adjust it if the sprockets look good?

Wicky 10-03-2013 09:52 AM

Best replace chain and sprockets at the same time if you don't know when it was last replaced and the shop has advised it is "shot". Get a Heavy Duty chain and keep it maintained and correctly adjusted as if it breaks 100 horsies of whiplashing chain can easily damage crankcases, lock up rear wheel and generally cause soiled underpants.

996thehawk 10-03-2013 10:36 AM

My friend's Superhawk has about 30k on it and the rear sprocket just stripped out. Left him stranded on Route 80. I would agree with Wicky and replace the chain and sprockets. Do it right.