SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Choke always? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/choke-always-7008/)

mikecronis 04-27-2005 07:58 AM

Choke always?

I think my new SHawk enjoys erotic asphyxiation (like in the movie Rising Sun). It seems I must always choke to start the 2005 V-Twin when it's a cold engine. If it's been ridden for a while at engine temp registers on the LCD display (ie. above 95 F) then I don't need to.

I searched the forum on choke topics and most seem to have to use it. I find it odd though as since my Kawi Ninja 500R rarely needed choke to start unless it was under 50 F oustide. SHawk needs choke even when it was 70 F outside!

Like about everyone I use it until the blug-blug-blug-y V-Twin with its semi-unsteady idle can survive without it, which is about a minute or so, which I back off the choke and fiddle with it until it idles without dying. I'm not too worried about the uneven idle as parallel VTwins tend to be a rough idle. Mine tends to +/- about 200 rpms even when warmed-up.

I've tried riding with choke on in a rich-state to warm it up but unlike the Kawi Ninja500R and 250R V-Twins the SHawk doesn't seem to benefit from that method. Instead, it seems to enjoy an early choking until idle is semi-acceptable (30 sec. to 2 min. depending).

I find it odd again that full choke does not yield 3 or 4k rpms but only like 2k rpms max. Shouldn't it be higher?

I'm wondering if the carbs are set correctly if this might be an indication of running too lean or something. I'll check the "Rev and let it go in idle" technique de la poor-man and watch the rpms to see if I'm running rich or lean.

Suggestions? This is a new 2005 bike with only 250 miles on it. Strangely I'm at 135 miles and haven't hit reserves yet.

SlowHAWK 04-27-2005 09:44 AM

Re: Choke always?

I don't have an answer for you on the carbs... but my 98 Hawk takes about the same amount of time "choked" as your's. I need "choke" pretty much everytime I start it for the first time in a day, unless it's hot.. like 80-90 degrees hot. It will fire up off choke in chilly (60's) weather, but it cranks ALOT longer, and I'd rather not run down my battery and starter.

Like you, my old bike (Katana) started alot easier.. but the engine was much smaller, so I just assumed this is part of owning a big V-Twin. Guy with a noisemaker Harley down the block from me sounds like he stalls 2 times everytime he starts it before it will idle... so I figure I'm ahead in the game!!!

J.

faz 04-27-2005 10:41 AM

You shouldn't compare the behavior and gas requirements of the liter size v-twin with a small 250 or 500 engine.

I use choke all of the time, when starting the engine from cold. Used to ride away with the choke on for a couple of minutes, but that made the mixture too rich and caused issues (which weren't there on my 250 or other smaller bikes.) Now, I simply turn the choke off after about 30 seconds of the bike running, and let it idle (increased idle speed to 1300 rpm) on its own.

The choke doesn't bring it up to 3k rpm or anything on mine either. It hangs around 2k rpm, which again, is plenty for a liter size vtwin.

enjoy your ride. it is behaving normally, which is differently than your previous bikes. :D

mikecronis 04-27-2005 10:46 AM

Hey, thanks guys! You are very helpful and have tons of good information! I really like this forum!

mikecronis 05-02-2005 07:16 PM

I notice that if I let the choke stay open then the bike dies after 1 minute.

superbling 05-03-2005 07:10 AM

Mike,

Next time watch and see if the RPM's begin to drop. At that time, either push in the choke 1/2 way or off depending on how it runs after that. Me, I go 1/2 after about 20-30 sec from a cold start but it's very warm here and I can smell it's rich. I then finish putting on helmet, gloves, etc and turn off choke and ride away. I don't have stock carbs tho'. You bike will only get better as it breaks in.

L8RGYZ 05-03-2005 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mikecronis";p=&quot (Post 4854)
I'm wondering if the carbs are set correctly if this might be an indication of running too lean or something. I'll check the "Rev and let it go in idle" technique de la poor-man and watch the rpms to see if I'm running rich or lean.

Mike,
Explain a bit more about what you're talking about here. I wonder if mine's rich or lean.
Thx,
Steve

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble 05-03-2005 05:09 PM

well guys, since i am the absolute "Hosanna" of carb troubleshooting and having been replied to regrettably by all of you from my troublesome posts... i think i know what he means....

it is a distinct possibility to have cold start problems and to continue to idle from 30 seconds to 2 minutes after your bike is started IF you are running lean in the air fuel mix screws(next to float bowls, D shaped) . if they are 3/4 turn or more outta whack you will not receive fuel properly at idle. again, this is the only circuit on our CV carbs that controls fuel at idle. so, hence, it CAN be a lean/rich problem but not typical. sounds like its acting normal. mine did that until i got the a/f screws right. now , like an hour ago ridin, its 40 degrees in cleveland, i pull the choke all the way, pull it outta the garage, rev it to 3k maybe two little blips, and then push it in half way., put on my sweet angry Icon TiMax titanium gloves and my scorpion helmet , push in the choke, it puts at 400 rpm's without stalling and im gone. idle returns to normal 1200 after about 1.5 minutes of stop and go. :shock: god i love this bike