SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Chasing the perfect front brakes (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/chasing-perfect-front-brakes-35532/)

E.Marquez 02-20-2020 07:56 AM

Chasing the perfect front brakes

Up front, I believe there is no ONE setup that is "right"
Right for you might be the stock brakes with fresh fluid
Right for the next rider of that same bike after sale might be stock Nissan calipers and MC but with SS lines, the next owner? Might feel right for them is that plus Vesrah RJL Brake Pads.
Point is "right" is a rider personal preference.

Ive been though most if not all of the common swaps, SS lines in all cases then Nissan 6 pot calibers with several axial MC versions, Nissan 4 pot calipers from an F41 and several axial and 2 radial MC versions.

Currently Im at an OEM sourced 675R Brembo radial 18x19 MC, freshly rebuilt Nissan calipers using 31.8 mm for the first piston and 33.68 mm for the second piston , CoreMoto SS lines, EBC light weight rotors, DOT5.1 fluid.
Stopping power is pretty good, feel and modulation not what I want. I can get better stopping power with better rotors, but its feel and modulation that Im chasing.

So what next?????

Enter a new radial MC from Brembo,19mm RCS Corsa Corta and I think I have found me next brake system change.
This new MS is a good piston size match to my calipers, it is adjustable in not just fulcrum (18 or 20) but is adjustable for initial "bite" or the moment in lever travel actions the calipers
Here is a video that talks about the Corsa Corta, yes its a sales pitch, but still has some good details.

apezman07 02-20-2020 08:56 AM

My front end is from a 954rr. So I have factory 954 calipers, rotors, master cylinder & Spiegler brake lines. I love it, stopping power is great. But I'm sure there's a lot better being that my setup is factory minus the lines.

E.Marquez 02-20-2020 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by apezman07 (Post 411569)
My front end is from a 954rr. So I have factory 954 calipers, rotors, master cylinder & Spiegler brake lines. I love it, stopping power is great. But I'm sure there's a lot better being that my setup is factory minus the lines.

Ya there is almost no bike out there that in stock configuration riders are not looking for "better" .Even race homologationbikes with top tier parts are modified for individual rider feel and use.

mikstr 02-20-2020 03:42 PM

I've not tried a Brembo RCS (though I did run an OEM 18x19 from a Monster 1100 for a couple years) but from reading comments from supposedly knowledgeable people, I steered towards a Galespeed radial MC (ie. some who went from said RCS to Galespeed and noted a significant upgrade) and it`s an incredible unit. My current set-up is a bit exotic due to Braketech CMC rotors but I had been using stock size stainless steel Cobras previously and combined with said Galespeed MC (17.5 x 17) and Zcoo pads, the combo was absolutely killer. Power and feel were outstanding (am running Daytona 675 Nissin monobloc calipers with 32/32 pistons). Have a look at a Galespeed 19x18 if you haven`t already pulled the trigger on the Brembo and prepared to be blown away.

killer5280 02-20-2020 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by apezman07 (Post 411569)

This is what I have too. Well, I think I have a CBR600RR master cylinder that has the same diameter piston as the stock 954, but that's the only difference. Braided brake lines and EBC EPFA pads; stopping power, lever effort and feel are tremendous for street riding. I'm certain a few stops from triple digits could expose some weaknesses, but that's probably not going to happen.

Cadbury64 02-20-2020 06:57 PM

I'm running the 954 calipers and master on the stock 1997 rubber lines and some OEM Nissin pads! Actually I really love the controllable feel of these brakes, they are as gentle or strong as I could hope for. By contrast, my ST1300 brakes (which are all stock and well-maintained) are too fierce to start with but then seem to lack absolute power.

apezman07 02-21-2020 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cadbury64 (Post 411573)
I'm running the 954 calipers and master on the stock 1997 rubber lines and some OEM Nissin pads! Actually I really love the controllable feel of these brakes, they are as gentle or strong as I could hope for. By contrast, my ST1300 brakes (which are all stock and well-maintained) are too fierce to start with but then seem to lack absolute power.

You say they are fierce to start with then seem to lack absolute power. Try stainless braided lines, the factory rubber may be swelling under heavy brake pressure and decreasing brake efficiency. Stainless braided lines eliminate this issue.