SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Chains and sprockets (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/chains-sprockets-8742/)

grampi 05-23-2006 01:09 PM

Chains and sprockets

How long do the chains and sprockets last on these bikes and what do they cost? I would think with the amount of torque the SH makes it would be hard on them.

marmaladedad 05-23-2006 01:23 PM

Mine have lasted about 8k miles, but the chain is starting to stretch. The sprocket teeth still look good, but it's always a good idea to replace the sprockets and chain together at the same time.

I spend roughly $160 for two sprockets and a chain. (just parts...I do my own installation)

Hawkrider 05-23-2006 09:49 PM

Get a Scottoiler! It'll make your chain and sprockets last twice as long. I went 25k on my first stock chain. Then went to 520 with a cheapo Vortex (aka "crap") rear Al sprocket and the sumbitch still looks decent after 13k. Todays good chains don't stretch that much. There are bikes out there like the CBR1000RR and ZX10 that run the same chain, and they run as much torque (if not more) and 50% more hp. Regular maintenance and proper tension make or break the life of a chain. The Scottoiler does 99% of the work for you. All you have to do is fill it every 1000 miles or so.

Google it!

skatrekker 05-24-2006 04:48 AM

Agree with that, My Scottoiler has been on My VTR/SH from 500miles and I've just changed the Chain at 28,000 miles. Mind you the chain was like old elastic when I changed it, but maybe accidentally jetwashing the chain didn't help. Scottoilers work very well, just adjust the flow to keep it from oiling the back tyre and it will do 1000 miles per fill up. You don't even need to use the special oil that they try to sell you. I've used supermarket engine oil at £2.50 for 5 litres mostly during that time and it works just fine.

grampi 05-24-2006 05:24 AM

Isn't the Scottoiler messy?

skatrekker 05-24-2006 06:27 AM

Not it you adjust it properly. It won't fling any more than any other form of chain lubrication and it will definately save money on chains+sprox. It's easy to fit and make it look neat. Mine is tucked inside the right hand fairing just above the radiator so I can see how full it is every time I get on the bike but I may relocate it as I'm stripping the bike to clean everywhere that's out of sight. We have for the last six months had a ban on using water hoses to clean vehicles so it makes it difficult to use de-greaser that needs a lot of rinsing. Even so keeping the visible back end clean is not hard and that's with the Scottoiler. I've been using them on bikes for the last 15 years and they are reliable to the point of forgettable.

grampi 05-24-2006 07:28 AM

Why can't you use a water hose to clean vehicles? What are you supposed to use?

skatrekker 05-24-2006 07:57 AM

Water supply company have restricted the use of water due to shortages. Trying to get rid of degreasing agents using a bucket of water and a sponge is never successful. Global warming is starting to bite here in the U.K.

grampi 05-24-2006 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by skatrekker
Water supply company have restricted the use of water due to shortages. Trying to get rid of degreasing agents using a bucket of water and a sponge is never successful. Global warming is starting to bite here in the U.K.

75% of the planet is covered with water and you can't use water to wash your bike? Ridiculous!

skatrekker 05-24-2006 08:32 AM

You really are cut off from the rest of the world aren't you.:? It's been raining here (south coast of England) for weeks yet our water companies can't hang on to it. Most of that 75% is salt water and I'm not washing my bike in that! It's bad enough with all the salt they sling on the road in the winter. This year is has taken most of the paint of my wheels

L8RGYZ 05-24-2006 09:19 AM

Mine's got 22K+ on the original chain & its still got plenty of adjustment left.

I use 80/90 weight gear on it as Honda recommends. I apply a light coat every 500-600 miles w/ a rag. (Getting a box of rubber surgical gloves keeps the hands clean.)

The Super Hawk uses a more expensive ( abt. $200) DID chain specific to the bike. I suppose it's more heavy duty.

grampi 05-24-2006 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by skatrekker
You really are cut off from the rest of the world aren't you.:? It's been raining here (south coast of England) for weeks yet our water companies can't hang on to it. Most of that 75% is salt water and I'm not washing my bike in that! It's bad enough with all the salt they sling on the road in the winter. This year is has taken most of the paint of my wheels

Salt can be removed from the water.

3D02 05-28-2006 09:15 AM

Salt can be removed from the water.
Expensive proposition on a large scale.