SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Chain Rattle (CCT or Drive Chain) (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/chain-rattle-cct-drive-chain-22856/)

amhsraptor 06-11-2010 07:43 AM

Chain Rattle (CCT or Drive Chain)

Since I have had my bike it has had a small rattle (similar to a chain hitting something) noise in first gear whenever the RPMs are <3k. My roommate looked at the bike and noticed that my chain was incredibly loose, so I did the processes and tightened the chain. It still read good according to the indicators on the bike after being tightened. The other possibility that I think it could be is the CCTs. When I bought my bike, it had the Manual CCT's installed already. I have read that the CCT's need to be adjusted around 10k miles, but because they came on the bike and the previous owner did not receive any paperwork from the OP I don't have any records when they were last adjusted. But he did say that the bike was serviced regularly at the Honda dealership. So my question is.

Is the small chain rattle at really low RPMs normal? Is there a way to tell if the CCT's need to be adjusted without taking everything apart? Or is there another element that could be causing this?

-BA

spladle160 06-11-2010 08:05 AM

Manual ccts have been known to make a ticking noise even when properly adjusted. But if you don't mind wrenching do yourself a favor and check them. The more you know the bike the more comfortable you will be on it.

revhead1957 06-11-2010 01:48 PM

Need more info. If you haven't done so already, download a workshop manual and use it. There are proper ways to do things that must be done or damage will occur.
CCT chain noise and drive chain noise are totally different. If you can't tell, get a professional opinion as leaving it unattended will cost you money.

amhsraptor 06-11-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by revhead1957 (Post 269899)
Need more info. If you haven't done so already, download a workshop manual and use it. There are proper ways to do things that must be done or damage will occur.
CCT chain noise and drive chain noise are totally different. If you can't tell, get a professional opinion as leaving it unattended will cost you money.

I definitely agree. But I was curious if anyone else has a small noise when in 1st?

Tweety 06-11-2010 03:22 PM

Well the way to know is to find out what end of the engine is making the noise and if it present at full working temp or at warm up... And a few more variables, but start with those... Without it the rest of us is making wil guesses, with a bit more information we migth be able to make a half decent guess...

There are a lotof noises... Several of them in 1'st... A common one is the carb slides clicking and clacking...

BTW once you have figured out that you don't know and cant tell what end makes the noise, the answer is either roll up a newspaper to a roll and use it as a basic stethoscope or take it to a mechanic...

Hawkrider 06-12-2010 08:10 AM

The problem is your drive chain since what you are describing is based on road speed, not engine speed. If it was incredibly loose before then it was probably not well maintained. You need to clean and lubricate it well, and check for tight links. Check the sprocket wear (shark toothed, chips, missing teeth) front and rear and replace the chain and sprockets together if you find anything like that.

A CCT problem will be heard mainly at idle, hot, bike stopped. It'll sound like ticking and will increase in frequency as rpms rise. Stock CCTs are self-adjusting until they fail, which will grenade the top end of that cylinder. Manual CCTs, once adjusted properly, will probably never have to be adjusted again.