SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   cct failure (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cct-failure-31824/)

foosfan 03-30-2014 04:46 PM

cct failure

ok so i think ive had cct failure......where do i go from here

sjscicluna 03-30-2014 05:09 PM

ouch sorry to hear..

not sure hopefully some one with the knowledge can help but i guess it depends on the damage done

jscobey 03-30-2014 05:14 PM

Realł sorry to hear that. Can you post some more info. What makes you think you've had a failure? Describe what happened. The more info you post the more people can help.

Makes me glad I just installed manual CCTs last week. I hope the damage isn't to bad

rick 03-30-2014 07:01 PM

need more info.

You my only need to change the CCT's. On the other extreme you could need piston, cyl work and a new head.

Any idea which cyl failed?

A preliminary check is to turn the engine with a wrench at the crank(right term??) bolt behind the big hex hex cap on the stator cover. Don't brute force you way through if it doesn't want to turn over. If it turns over normally without binding there is a good chance valves and piston didn't kiss.
I'd remove the valve covers and check cam timing. If timing is correct, chance of any damage is very low. IF timing is off I'd check valve clearances and then a leak down check and go from there.

If you need to get the head off, it's not very hard to do on this bike. Used cyl head are not very expensive either.

mcg 03-31-2014 02:24 PM

Just a note take your spark plugs out and hand crank as described above.
Hope you only jumped a few teeth.
I just installed manual cam chain tensioners a few weeks ago...phew!
Good Luck!!

7moore7 03-31-2014 03:27 PM

Where are you located?

dmount76 03-31-2014 08:20 PM

My front cylinder CCT went out recently. Engine made a sound like a chain slapping then a big clunk. I ended up bending 2 valves in the front head. I just replaced the valves and a new head gasket, made manual CCT's and put her back together. Runs like a top now. Good luck.

foosfan 04-04-2014 04:41 PM

thats what mine did but no clunk....was it hard to do? expensive?

foosfan 04-04-2014 04:42 PM

medford oregon

foosfan 04-04-2014 04:45 PM

i did as described ..... no binding but whats sounds like a slap in th front cyl

Tofazfou 04-17-2014 06:34 PM

I seriously HATE (right now at least) that i changed mine. I have a 2003 and NOTHING and i repeat...NOTHING happened to make me change mine but reading forums. My bike ran great before the swap and actually runs fine now but it has a strange NOISE coming from one of the cylinders upon startup. I've backed off and back off and then went in and went in some more based on all the reading i've done here and i'm still not "SURE" about the mod. Upon a cold start, one of my cylinders makes a weird "WHOOOOOMP" sound whereas it never did before the swap. And this is during the actual START of the bike and NOT the running of it. No matter how loose or how tight i make the CCT, it makes that noise. My CCT's are on the LOOSER side as opposed to the TIGHTER side for sure.

My OEM 2003 CCT's where strong as F#@K when i removed them and seemed to have a TON of life (spring tension) in them still to put tension in that chain. After i removed the OEM's, i wonders why i even touched them based on how strong the spring was in the OEM CCT.

I took my bike in to have the front fork internals changed out and i talked to the service manager and he responded that he has never in his 15 years of Honda service seen a CCT fail on a VTR!

But of course, that doesn't mean that they don't fail.

jscobey 04-17-2014 09:34 PM

the noise is just while the bike warms up. if you followed the procedure, you should have 5-7mm of slack on the cam chains. id stop messing with them because if you go too loose, CLACK! and if you go to tight youll wear out the cam chain pre maturley. id open things up and re-adjust to 7mm of cam chain slack .

CruxGNZ 04-17-2014 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tofazfou (Post 371510)
I seriously HATE (right now at least) that i changed mine. I have a 2003 and NOTHING and i repeat...NOTHING happened to make me change mine but reading forums. My bike ran great before the swap and actually runs fine now but it has a strange NOISE coming from one of the cylinders upon startup. I've backed off and back off and then went in and went in some more based on all the reading i've done here and i'm still not "SURE" about the mod. Upon a cold start, one of my cylinders makes a weird "WHOOOOOMP" sound whereas it never did before the swap. And this is during the actual START of the bike and NOT the running of it. No matter how loose or how tight i make the CCT, it makes that noise. My CCT's are on the LOOSER side as opposed to the TIGHTER side for sure.

My OEM 2003 CCT's where strong as F#@K when i removed them and seemed to have a TON of life (spring tension) in them still to put tension in that chain. After i removed the OEM's, i wonders why i even touched them based on how strong the spring was in the OEM CCT.

I took my bike in to have the front fork internals changed out and i talked to the service manager and he responded that he has never in his 15 years of Honda service seen a CCT fail on a VTR!

But of course, that doesn't mean that they don't fail.

I have to know, what are you expecting a spring to do before it fails?

Some CCT's fail with a couple thousand miles on them and some that have 70 thousand miles or more on them. Changing stock CCT's to manual CCT's are (for me) a peace of mind & insurance. When a CCT spring breaks, there is usually very little to no warning.

Like scuba steve said, stop messing with your manual CCT's while it's running, because you could do damage to your engine by unscrewing it to far. Just take the valve covers off and set the tension properly.

I can't think of anything that would make the noise you describe on a correctly running VTR engine. Just thinking out loud here, but maybe you have so much slack in the cam chain, that when you start it, the slack is taken up very quickly and you here that noise? But if there was that much slack, the cam sprocket(s) would surely skip some teeth on the cam chain.