SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   CCT debate - manual or oem (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cct-debate-manual-oem-8685/)

EngineNoO9 05-16-2006 08:26 AM

CCT debate - manual or oem

I've read like every thread there is and after going to the shop yesterday I have some questions and a debate...

Guys at the shop who I trust and ride their bikes mega hard don't really like the manual cct's. When I asked they kind've just shook their heads and were like I'd get oem. Another thing that was mentioned though was that the chain has probably stretched too and would need replacing... Now I don't remember anyone else mentioning this. Everyone just mentioned getting either new oem ones or ape cct's... So what's the conclusion on this? It'd make sense that the chain has probably stretched just like any other (I think). /discuss

99Hawk 05-16-2006 09:41 AM

How are they deciding your chain is stretched? .... Guessing..??? How many miles on your bike? I really doubt you need to replace the cam chains.

I'd go with the manual APE type replacement and you'll never have to worry about a CCT failure.

jschmidt 05-16-2006 09:52 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

EngineNoO9 05-16-2006 10:02 AM

they're saying the chain stretches just like any other chain.... I just ticked over 18k

99Hawk 05-16-2006 10:34 AM

I've never heard of anyone replacing cam chains at 18K - just for the heck of it.

I assume these $$ replacements are coming from a $$$ biased source.

EngineNoO9 05-16-2006 11:07 AM

they aren't that much... $100 each

Pdaddy 05-16-2006 11:40 AM

I bought that Honda Factory Service Manual off someone here in the classifieds recently, I would assume there is a spec for chain wear and replacement.(A measurement for chain stretch possibly) Once I get it Ill look into it, as this seems to be the "hot" topic for Hawk owners...

Speed_Demon 05-16-2006 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by jschmidt
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ha ha are you kidding me? When they break the result is usually atleast two bent valves. You don't just break a tensioner.

Speed_Demon 05-16-2006 11:47 AM

The manual tensioners are only a good deal if you don't mind adjusting them frequently. I run updated OEM units in mine but if it ever becomes a track bike I'll switch to APE units.

Pdaddy 05-16-2006 11:53 AM

Whats an updated OEM unit consist of, what was done to make it better ?

Speed_Demon 05-16-2006 11:53 AM

They look the same but honda has done somethingto reduce failure rate. Probably just a better spring. You can tell them appart by the color of paint dot.

99Hawk 05-16-2006 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
The manual tensioners are only a good deal if you don't mind adjusting them frequently.

SD
They don't need frequest adjustment. The cam chain or guide doesn't wear so fast that you need to be rechecking it. If it's quiet all is OK, once a year is overkill if you just want to readjust it.

Speed_Demon 05-16-2006 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 99Hawk
SD
They don't need frequest adjustment. The cam chain or guide doesn't wear so fast that you need to be rechecking it. If it's quiet all is OK, once a year is overkill if you just want to readjust it.

Good to know but you gotta love the fact that OEM units are always at the perfect tension. I guess I'm just paranoid in that way. How many miles between adjustments for you?

99Hawk 05-16-2006 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
Good to know but you gotta love the fact that OEM units are always at the perfect tension. I guess I'm just paranoid in that way. How many miles between adjustments for you?

The OEM tension may be OK - - until the spring breaks... that's the point of manual CCTs.

I'll recheck my manual CCTs when it's time for valve clearance checks or IF I hear any noise changes...

shayne 05-17-2006 05:02 AM

New chains at 18k?

I don't think so.