SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   cct adjust? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cct-adjust-19025/)

swordfish 06-03-2009 01:01 PM

cct adjust?

Hi guys, I was warming up the bike this morning and I noticed a metallic clinking sound coming from the approx. area of the rear cct. it went away after the bike started getting warm and I don't hear it after I've ridden anywhere. I've never heard them when they need adjusting so I'm not sure if its what I'm hearing or not. the bike is due for a valve adjustment, but I've never heard what the valves sound like when they are clicking either. but it sounds like somone tapping on your chain with a screwdriver. best description I can give. she runs fine. no strange behavior. I've got APE's so I can adjust if its the cct's. what do you guys think?

chickenstrip 06-03-2009 01:19 PM

Sounds like you need to do some more evaluating. It doesn't sound like a pressing issue at the moment anyway.

swordfish 06-03-2009 01:29 PM

maybe not pressing but its a sound I've never heard before. I'm not sure I would recognize when it was pressing. do the cct's make a metallic "clink" when they are too loose? or is it more of a knock? guess I'll have to bring it somewhere, to have some one listen, but by the time I get there it won't be doing it anymore.

jbaxx 06-03-2009 01:31 PM

Only one way to find out. Should be easy enough to adjust your CCT's.

lazn 06-03-2009 01:34 PM

Just don't loosen it any beyond where it is already at!

swordfish 06-03-2009 01:40 PM

I'm nervous to adjust them. I didn't install them, and I don't want to screw it up. seems pretty straight forward. loosen lock nut, tighten screw, tighten locknut. all while its running right? what does it sound like when its too tight? will it be obvious when I've got it where it should be? should I worry about the front? I don't hear the same noise coming from the front. is it ok to tighten one and not the other?

lazn 06-03-2009 01:49 PM

They are totally separate so tightening one and not the other should be fine. If the front isn't making noise, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for how tight, really a little noise isn't an issue (a lot of noise or a skipped chain is) so there is some debate as to exactly how tight you want it. Do note that with the locknut loose the main bolt might spin really easily.

swordfish 06-03-2009 02:07 PM

ok. how will I know when its tight enough? like I said, it only clinks when its cold, and I need to adjust them when its warm. the the cam chain makes the typical wirring sound. will that change as its tightened? or should I loosen it till I definitely hear noise and then tighten back up?

lazn 06-03-2009 02:10 PM

If it only clinks when cold, that sounds more like valve adjustment to me than Cam Chain.

I would not loosen it at all.. But that's just me and I am paranoid about chain jump..

swordfish 06-03-2009 02:38 PM

well so am I. maybe I'll just wait for the valve check and have them tighten the cct if it needs it.

thetophatflash 06-03-2009 02:44 PM

If you adjust while running, you will notice the idle rpm drop as you tighten.

996SSVTR 06-03-2009 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by jbaxx (Post 220270)
Only one way to find out. Should be easy enough to adjust your CCT's.

Its so hard to diagnos sounds anyway, but my bike makes funny noises and then I learn what they are later, by continued investigation

swordfish 06-04-2009 09:38 AM

yeah its just I know all my bike's sounds and this is a new one.and any time a new sound pops up that sounds like metal clinking on metal, it makes me nervous. this morning I had a good listen again. it only does it when its warming up. as the rpms are at about 1500, I usually wait for the rpms to reach 2000 before I put in the choke and go. somewhere between 1500-2000, it just quits making the noise. all of a sudden. and then it doesn't do it again. even if the rpms go down when I push in the choke, the sound is gone. whatever, valve adjustment soon, and I'll have them check the cct tension just to indulge my paranoia. but I'm still gonna ride it unless the noise sticks around, cause it still runs fine after the noise diappears. no change in power, or heat, SOP impression is the same. and I would notice. I'm OCD about this stuff.

Hawkrider 06-04-2009 08:56 PM

The chain should loosen up as the bike warms, so it's not the CCT. Try using barely any choke and a tiny bit of throttle next time you start it. Don't let it idle over 1500 and see if the noise is still there.

Circuit_Burner 06-04-2009 11:06 PM

Sloppy valves.

ripvanwinkle 06-05-2009 06:37 AM

IMHO it sounds like the metal stop on the cam chain tensioner blade is tapping against the plunger head of the Ape CCT, rather than just resting against it. If that's what it is, then the cam chain is very slightly on the slack side.

The best way I can describe that noise is, it sounds like the noise you get from hitting two metal desert spoons together back to back.

Chris.

swordfish 06-05-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ripvanwinkle (Post 220608)
IMHO it sounds like the metal stop on the cam chain tensioner blade is tapping against the plunger head of the Ape CCT, rather than just resting against it. If that's what it is, then the cam chain is very slightly on the slack side.

The best way I can describe that noise is, it sounds like the noise you get from hitting two metal desert spoons together back to back.

Chris.

that is close to the sound I'm hearing but based on what I did last night, I'm pretty certain its not the cct. I let the bike warm up, and the tightened the cct. after much adjust and check adjust and check, I have the cct set so that it just barely(I'm talking 10's of rpms) brought the idle down. then I backed it out to that fine poitn where it starts to bring the idle down. I talking like 20rpm diff. not 2000 or 200, 20. my bike has a very steady idle, and like I said, I'm OCD about this stuff. so the cct is not loose. this morning, bike still made the clink sound when warming up. then gone. I'm thinking it must be the valves. valve adjustment within a week hopefully. I wouldn't think that its serious enough yet to warrant not riding the bike. what do you guys think. I'd guess that it wouldn't be an issue unless the bike was warmed up and the valves were still clinking. am I right? or should I hang it up till they get adjusted?

Death Cattle 06-05-2009 11:50 AM

for tightening them, you want to go finger tight then back off a quarter to a half of a turn.

swordfish 06-05-2009 01:30 PM

wasn't using my fingers. damn thing was HOT. but I did see direct reactions in the rpms. tightened a little, rpms went to 1000. loosened a little, the went to 1050, little more, 1100. locked it down. no fingers used.

dvwalker 06-05-2009 01:43 PM

Did you do ur adjusting while it was running?

swordfish 06-05-2009 02:14 PM

yes. I rode it home from work, then adjusted it when I got there. so it was definitely warmed up.

Prime 06-07-2009 02:59 AM

Hello Swordfish!

Have you found the source to the "clicking" metallic sound?

I am pretty sure I have the exact same sound on my VTR (also rear cylinder)
When I first heard this metallic sound, I thought the CCT's were about to give in and had them replaced (new stock CTT's). But replacing the CCT's didn't do it and the sound is still there and I have the feeling that the sound is getting worse, but it might just be me being paranoid.

I personally believe it is very hard to tell whether the sound is coming from the top of the head or if it coming from somewhere inside the right engine cover (clutch/water pump transmission etc.).
I think I will take the bike to a workshop and have the valve clearance checked and even have the compression ratio measured just to rule out that the valves aren't damaged some how.

Please let us (me) know if you solve the problem.

/P

superhawk205 06-14-2009 11:33 AM

The sound that can't be found!!!????

I've read about 10 threads on this and they all end with no answer, did you figure out what the noise was. Very interested if anyone has had the problem, but found the solution as well.:eek:

swordfish 06-15-2009 01:06 PM

the bike goes into the shop for the valve check and adjust on wednesday. I told them to check the CCT tension, and also the head bearings just to give me peace of mind as my track day gets closer. I know its not the CCT unless something inside is really wrong. my assumption right now is valves. I'll tell the bike shop guys that when I bring it in. I'll let you know on friday what they found.

Prime 06-18-2009 02:41 PM

I am looking forward to hear the result.
Keep us posted.

/P

swordfish 06-18-2009 04:55 PM

they have the bike right now, they should get to it tomorrow. I'm calling tomorrow evening. gonna pick up on sat unless something unexpected is found.

Circuit_Burner 06-18-2009 10:31 PM

What if they call and say its a cracked head thats been leaking coolant into the cylinder all this time and has ruined your cams and crankshaft?

BeerHunter 06-18-2009 11:35 PM

What is someone said that a Crack Head has been trying to scare you for no good reason?

swordfish 06-19-2009 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner (Post 223075)
What if they call and say its a cracked head thats been leaking coolant into the cylinder all this time and has ruined your cams and crankshaft?

now I'm no mechanic, but I would assume a bunch of antifreeze in the cylinder would have given off some symptoms. the oil is still clear, and aside form the clinking, she runs like a top. and she hasn't been running any hotter than usual. but, I guess I'd be looking at a trade in cause I know I can't fix that, and I can't afford to have it fixed. thanks for thinking up the one nightmare scenario I hadn't thought of. you should work for the defense dept.

Circuit_Burner 06-19-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by swordfish (Post 223155)
now I'm no mechanic, but I would assume a bunch of antifreeze in the cylinder would have given off some symptoms. the oil is still clear, and aside form the clinking, she runs like a top. and she hasn't been running any hotter than usual. but, I guess I'd be looking at a trade in cause I know I can't fix that, and I can't afford to have it fixed. thanks for thinking up the one nightmare scenario I hadn't thought of. you should work for the defense dept.

But wait, theres more!

what if the sound was the lower rod bearing slapping against the crank after a lot of dirt got sucked into the airbox boot when the last mechanic didnt install it right?

Just scaring you.
Its good to be scared.
Then when things arent completely screwed up like that, its a pretty day!