SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   CBR600F4i Showa shock remote reservoir hose MOD (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cbr600f4i-showa-shock-remote-reservoir-hose-mod-34111/)

E.Marquez 08-12-2016 12:08 PM

CBR600F4i Showa shock remote reservoir hose MOD

Ive searched the Net, this forum, UK SH forum.....VFR forums, CBR forums... and come up blank.
Has anyone changed out the hydraulic reservoir hose on a showa shock?

DMr uses the CBR600 F4i shock as a base for his custom fitted and valved VTR1000F shocks. And we have spoken on the new hose... he has a custom solution already figured out..... and I may go that way....just not ready to toss in the towel just yet.

Im looking to replace the reservoir hose, it is an M10 banjo bolt on one side, M10x1.0mm straight thread on the other that goes into the shock body (thank you Jamie)
I have a research F4i shock on the way just purchased to do some measuring and look at but was trying to get ahead of the ball as well.

I need to know if that M10x1.0mm straight thread hose fitting is sealed by crush washer? or O ring?
I need to know the ID of the through hole in the stock fittings, and hose.. I've been warned, not to cause a restriction buy using something smaller than stock.
I really assumed someone wold have replaced that ugly black rubber hose due to damage or in search of bling....with an aftermarket SS line and pretty anodized fittings by now, but darn if I can find a thread on that.

xeris 08-12-2016 06:07 PM

Good Question. I was going to do a CBR shock upgrade and the hose was not the most pristine piece of kit.
Have you looked for banjo fittings that are meant to be swedged on?
I'm wondering if someone like Aeroquip would have fittings and hose that would work.
Go ahead and push the envelope for mods for the rest of us. I for one bow down.

E.Marquez 08-13-2016 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 397955)
Good Question. I was going to do a CBR shock upgrade and the hose was not the most pristine piece of kit.
Have you looked for banjo fittings that are meant to be swedged on?
I'm wondering if someone like Aeroquip would have fittings and hose that would work.
Go ahead and push the envelope for mods for the rest of us. I for one bow down.

The 10mm banjo is available from lots of places in `3 AN, but only a few in `4An.. Holley by way of Earl's plumbing is supplying this part.
The 10mmx1.0 straight thread fitting is proving to be the hard part. I'll know more when I get one on my hands I can look at and measure.
Likely I'll find a source or a source for a part that can be modified.. If not I'll make one.

E.Marquez 08-18-2016 07:12 AM

Its here

My spare CBR600F4i shock arrived and disassembly has taken place.
The biggest concern was ID of the OEM hose fittings. Jamie cautioned me to not restrict the fluid flow.

The Min OEM hose fitting ID is .156, that is smaller than all brand sof -4 AN hose I have found, so good there.
After contacting Holley (makers of Earls Plumbing) I have the inside dia of the metric adapter I will need to use a -4 hose and AN fittings to make this new shock line. I will have to bore the ID of the adapter on the 10mm side a few thousands to bring it up to the min size of the OEM fitting. The ID on the -4 AN side of the adapter is .178 so larger then the needed .156

Another concern is the Min ID of the 10mm banjo hose -4AN hose end...

Waiting on the technical drawing and response from Holley on that one now. It is steel and so not really to concerned, if it is undersized slightly I will just bore it out as well.

These fittings will have no significant lateral stress on them, so Im am not overly concerned* with the reduction of cross section to cause or leading to a fracture

I had asked the question"I need to know if that M10x1.0mm straight thread hose fitting is sealed by crush washer? or O ring?"
The answer is copper sealing washer... and Holley confirms their adapter is designed to use a sealing washer or O ring..so good there.

I have to purchase the required hose in a 10 foot section which drives the cost way up...when I only need a few inches,, but what the heck, spares will get used someplace, sometime.
The Earl's Speed Flex hoses has a PTEF liner and Stainless steel overbraid. The hose designed for hydraulic application, both cold and hot fluid. The -4 An hose I'll use has a ID of .190 and a min allowable bend radius of 1.5" which works out just fine for the bend needed in this application.. The OEM hose has a 3" bend radius installed now...

* see elsewhere on the forum for how my guesstimate engineering worked out on rear brake adapters...lol

E.Marquez 08-18-2016 11:16 AM

Parts all ordered, now to wait for the man in brown to drop them off.

E.Marquez 08-19-2016 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Another concern is the Min ID of the 10mm banjo hose -4AN hose end...

Waiting on the technical drawing and response from Holley on that one now. It is steel and so not really to concerned, if it is undersized slightly I will just bore it out as well.

Holley Tech refused to send out a Tech drawing (thanks you Twat) but they did confirm the MIN ID is larger than .156" so there will be no flow issues with this new line.

Jack Flash 08-23-2016 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 398025)

I have to purchase the required hose in a 10 foot section which drives the cost way up...when I only need a few inches,, but what the heck, spares will get used someplace, sometime.

When I did my swing arm brace, and needed to relocate the caliper, I ordered through Russell, the exact length I needed, to replace my brake line. I just needed to provide the number of inches, and bought the angled fittings I needed to complete the job.

E.Marquez 08-24-2016 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Flash (Post 398084)
When I did my swing arm brace, and needed to relocate the caliper, I ordered through Russell, the exact length I needed, to replace my brake line. I just needed to provide the number of inches, and bought the angled fittings I needed to complete the job.

That was a pre fabricated brake line with swaged fittings yes?

As Im not using a prefabricated line, and doing so would not work as they use fittings incompatible with the needs of the shock line (size)

There are lots of companies that I could have ordered this custom line though, paid thier fees and not needed to buy extra line,,,,but the cost would have exceeded the cost of a few extra feet of speed flex hose which i will no doubt use on another project someplace.

xeris 09-27-2016 07:52 AM

Found this while looking for something else.
Banjo Adapters