SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   CBR wheel combo, which bearings? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cbr-wheel-combo-bearings-13299/)

supermarto 11-30-2007 02:26 PM

CBR wheel combo, which bearings?

I got a CBR 900 RR rear and a F3 front wheel... Both have bearings in them and were advertised as good, but I am going to replace them before I install the wheels on the Supe. The fiches I looked at online list several different bearings between all three models. My question is, do I go with the bearings for the specific CBR wheels, or will new bearings for a Superhawk fit? If nobody can tell me I am just gonna pull them out and measure all around and get new ones from mcmaster.com

I was just trying to avoid downtime on the Superhawk right now and did not feel like pulling the wheels off just to measure. Thanks all...

Tweety 11-30-2007 02:43 PM

Well, I actually don't know for sure... but the crucial info is weather they use the same axle as the SH... and as far as I know they should do that... So then the model specific bearings should work, since the dimension of the SH bearing to fit the rim could also be wrong...

I'm 99% sure the bearings are the same, but I'd measure if I where you... I do that all the time even efter asking here... 99% of the time, the guys here get it right.. I'm just paranoid...

Edit: Let me try that again... I KNOW they use the same axle... 100%... but that doesn't mean the bearings are the same...

supermarto 11-30-2007 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 138093)
I KNOW they use the same axle... 100%... but that doesn't mean the bearings are the same...

Yes, I should have stated that... I was wondering that exact fact: if the axle diameters are common to all three, I will just get bike-specific bearings. I will still measure the widths.

Another point I should clarify is that I was looking at fiches for different year cbr's than the rims I purchased. I am banking on the ebay sellers descriptions being accurate. I guess there will be part numbers physically on the wheels I have just to double check and cross reference.

EDIT: Yes, they do match. 97' F3 and all VTR front axles part numbers match. 96' 900rr and VTR rear axles match too, as do bearings on both sets per the microfiches on servicehonda.com...

Tweety 11-30-2007 03:59 PM

It seems we both knew...:) we just didn't know that we knew...:)

SlowHAWK 11-30-2007 05:53 PM

The easiest way to do the bearings is to call up All Balls Bearings and speak to their tech guy. They can cross reference pretty much everything, including th dust seals, and give you what you need.

They helped me on my CBR 900RR rear wheel swap, and double checked everything for the head bearings when I installed the 929 lower triple for my RC forks swap.

Very helpful, and prices are good as well.

J.

supermarto 11-30-2007 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK (Post 138103)
hey can cross reference pretty much everything, including th dust seals, and give you what you need.

So THEY do the homework, eh? That is hard to come by in many companies these days. I understand to some degree, but I still like when a person goes the extra mile for the customer no matter how big or small the order.

Thanks for the tip. I will be calling them for sure.

Are new dust seals required when doing new bearings?

SlowHAWK 11-30-2007 06:42 PM

Yeah... I know what you mean.. 95% of the time you say something like CBR wheel on a VTR or 929 triple in teh VTR head and immediatley they tune out and figure you're on crack... these guys actaully seemed interested in helping... basically I've delt with them 2 times... both pleasurable experiences... they have a permanent customer in me... I know a few others onteh board have used them as well.

As for the seals.... they are only a couple bucks a piece... I figuered why not...

J.

supermarto 12-02-2007 07:38 PM

Any advice on getting the old bearings out, and do these wheels have an internal spacer or do they just sit inside the race?