SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   CBR 1000rr front end first impressions (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cbr-1000rr-front-end-first-impressions-24003/)

t-dogg 10-10-2010 04:46 PM

CBR 1000rr front end first impressions

2 Attachment(s)
It Kicks Ass! Finally got to ride it today. So much better than what it was. It is so flickable now and much more nimble than before. Set it up for my weight and it performs perfect. The radial brakes are what God intended for this bike. It will stop on a dime with one finger! Im still not used to the limited steering at slow speeds. I almost bit it comin out of my driveway this morning. Deffinently the best mod I've ever done. Snapped a few pics...

cwlucky13 10-10-2010 05:08 PM

nice, one day i hope to do this mod, i like your paint job looks good

t-dogg 10-10-2010 05:37 PM

Thank You Sir

NooB 10-10-2010 05:42 PM

Yeah, thats nice. Actually you're bike is gorgeous, I really like it. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole front-end end up costing? Assuming you did the work yourself.

Syclone 10-10-2010 06:10 PM

What did you use for clip-ons?

trident00 10-10-2010 06:26 PM

I think it looks great. I am about to do the same myself. Did you use the 929/954 tripples, or the 1000rr tripples? Any tips would be much appreciated. I also like your lower fairing. Which one is it? The fox rear shock you have. Was it made for the superhawk or was it modified?
Thanks, Walt

smokinjoe73 10-10-2010 07:19 PM

Yeah, looks good, what clip ons?

VTRsurfer 10-10-2010 10:36 PM

Since everyone's asking questions, I'll ask one...and maybe a dumb one at that. What is it that limits the slow speed steering? Does something hit the fairing?

And yes, your bike looks awesome. Wasn't it in the SHOTM competition a while back? I think I voted for yours.

t-dogg 10-11-2010 06:19 AM

Ive spent roughly $600 and some change, but have made about $450 of it back so far selling parts. All done myself with the great people on here. Used Apex Riser clip-on's that work perfect and are pretty cheap. Used RC51 Upper and 954 Lower from 8541 Hawk with 954 Wheel, 1000rr Forks and Brakes. Lower Fairing is Sharkskins. Fox shock was made for the SH but briefly. For me what limits the movement at slow speeds is the huge Radial Master cylinder that sticks out and it hits the fairing stay turning left just like smokinjoe said lol. Turning right my steering damper holds it from sliding the rod all the way out of the damper. Wooooo lot of questions. Guess I posted in the wrong section...

smokinjoe73 10-11-2010 07:44 AM

I actually switched to an F4i master to solve some steering lock issues. Slightly less powerful but way better than stock still.

Syclone 10-11-2010 08:46 AM

I wish I had seen those Apex's before I went the SWATT route... Not that mine are bad, but those look like could solve the fitment issues that I ran into.

8541Hawk 10-11-2010 09:33 AM

Looks good. Yes they do work so much better when you hang a good front end on there. Now you need to brace the swingarm or go all they way and mount a RC arm on there. ;)

cliby 10-11-2010 10:54 AM

even if you clear things up top, the triples are so much beefier with the USD forks that you loose most of the steering lock there. Others have moved back the radiator to get a bit of it back. Its not horrible - a bit like a ducati - but when you aren't used to it and you have already dialed in some intended lean angle for a very low speed turn and then find you don't have the steering to support it, you get quite a scare.

t-dogg 10-11-2010 03:08 PM

Yeah I found that out the hard way. I almost nailed my truck today again comin out of the driveway, right in front of some kids. I look like a power ranger in my one piece suit anyway so that just gave those kids somethin else to laugh at :p

8541Hawk 10-11-2010 06:28 PM

Welcome to the club......lol I did the exact same thing with that triple set up. I did get used to it in a couple of days but came close to dropping it 2 -3 times in those couple of days.

Then I moved the rads and it is well worth the hour or so it take it takes to move them. ;)

smokinjoe73 10-11-2010 09:27 PM

I had an actual crash due to steering lock limit, but it was due to putting hand guards on the bike. The real danger is in a situation when you think you can do the maneuver like you did before but now don't have the range. To anyone who does this mod (t-dogg), make sure you grind back the stops on the lower triples about 1/4 inch to help with the lock to lock distance.