SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Carb Sync (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/carb-sync-10522/)

Dave Wicks 02-11-2007 08:26 PM

Carb Sync

Hey Guys
Did one of my last "fixes" for the winter. Did a carb sync. Things went pretty well..lot's of hard to get at places..grrr..I actually wanted to talk about the gauges I used. Borrowed from a friend..old ..brass made by Suzuki...four units in heavy solid brass hlder...4 glass tudes with lines about 1/2 diameter with small steel balls inside..like ball bearings..tubes were aout 6 in. long..lines on them...I have seen gauges, mercury columns...twin max..but never something like this..seemed to work well..balls danced a bit...
Question...has anyone noticed slightly different "behavior" between front and back...back ran a tee-off the line to the petcock..front seemed "more active" ball moving...Got them the same ..but they tracked different as I increased rpm....How are some of you setting yours..ever seen gauges like this??

Take Care
Dave:-D

Hawkrider 02-11-2007 10:42 PM

Yeah, that's about normal for a carb sync. You get them even at idle and raise to 3000 rpm and they go off again. I just find a happy medium, or sync them correctly at 3000, depending on how I feel that day. Look at it this way, where does your bike spend most of its time, idling or 3000?

As far as more active on one or another, only thing I can think of is a vacuum leak, or less compression on one cylinder compared to the other. No use going out and buying a compression tester though. If it runs well and has good power then don't worry about it. Oh, that's right. You've not really ridden the bike yet, have you? Guess you'll have to wait until spring. :(

Dave Wicks 02-12-2007 05:00 AM

Carb Sync

Okay Greg that parting shot was cruel...Yeah I kind of knew that was normal, I'm not sure I had the front cylinder attachment completely sealed.. I wondered if the extra line off the back cylinder, plus it's working the petcock changed some of the "feel" of the vacum..anybody ever see this type of vacum gauge..balls in glass tubes???

Take Care
Dave:-D

bkelsey 02-12-2007 06:01 AM

The Morgan Carbtune uses steel rods in plastic tubes:
http://www.carbtune.com/index.html

Shawn Torpey 02-12-2007 03:47 PM

I have a morgan carbtune and I'm really happy with it and would definitely reccomend it. No mecury or batteries to mess with, just plug it in and tune. As far as the front cylinder is concerned, don' t quote me on this part# check the microfiche on your dealers computer, but Honda part number 90135-MS2-000 will replace that pesky little bolt on your 49 state model with a nipple from the california model made for an emission tube. Once the nipple is installed on your engine you can attach a 2 foot piece of vaccum tubing permanantly to your front cylinder via a little spring clamp and route the other end with wire ties(lightly tightened) over next to, not connected to, the tee you spliced in for the rear cylinder. Put a vaccum coupling on the end of it and attach your gauges to both cylinders at the same location, and when your done place vaccum caps on the coupling and the tee to seal things off. This way you can synchronize in truly less than 5 minutes! A trick to removing that lil bolt without losing it is to loosen it up just enough to wrap single a piece of 22awg wire around it and twist it with needle nose like safety wiring to make a leash. As for installing the nipple, plug some vaccum tubing on the end for a handle and finger tighten to get it started. Good luck!!

jschmidt 02-12-2007 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn Torpey (Post 41683)
I have a morgan carbtune and I'm really happy with it and would definitely reccomend it. No mecury or batteries to mess with, just plug it in and tune. As far as the front cylinder is concerned, don' t quote me on this part# check the microfiche on your dealers computer, but Honda part number 90135-MS2-000 will replace that pesky little bolt on your 49 state model with a nipple from the california model made for an emission tube. Once the nipple is installed on your engine you can attach a 2 foot piece of vaccum tubing permanantly to your front cylinder via a little spring clamp and route the other end with wire ties(lightly tightened) over next to, not connected to, the tee you spliced in for the rear cylinder. Put a vaccum coupling on the end of it and attach your gauges to both cylinders at the same location, and when your done place vaccum caps on the coupling and the tee to seal things off. This way you can synchronize in truly less than 5 minutes! A trick to removing that lil bolt without losing it is to loosen it up just enough to wrap single a piece of 22awg wire around it and twist it with needle nose like safety wiring to make a leash. As for installing the nipple, plug some vaccum tubing on the end for a handle and finger tighten to get it started. Good luck!!

I did this too. Recommended. The permanent nipples are also available in the aftermarket.

HRCVTR1000 02-12-2007 05:24 PM

Glad to see this thread . I am going to attempt to sync mine maybe this weekend. ( per Hawkriders instructions) The engine dying when coming to a quick stop is happening more often since the weathers cooled down . Also hoping to maybe squeeze a couple more MPG out of it. Also going to do the other mod mentioned with vent tube relocation for carb backfire/stumble .

Hawkrider 02-12-2007 06:53 PM

I use a combination of allen socket, universal joint, and extensions to get that little screw out. Put a dab of grease on the end to help the screw stick to the tool. This way it won't fall into the "Valley of Lost Parts". :)

Thumper 02-12-2007 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn Torpey (Post 41683)

I did exactly the same thing years ago. This was a great thread on the old RLZ site.

I use a set of vacume guages i bought to sync my in-line four. It takes a whole 5 minutes to to this and all tha tis required is a small wrench to turn the adjuster and the guages. I stashed my vacume hoses with plugs just behind the left frame member just to the left of the rear shock

Dave Wicks 02-12-2007 07:14 PM

Carb Sync

Yes.. I found the Valley of Tears..er lost parts..used the grease trick..read that on here somewhere....this site continues to show it's worth...I'm going to look for the permanent attachment..makes great sense...Getting all these things done has got me itching to ride...my first long fun ride will be to Kansas in May... we can usually start getting out in late April...I heard El Nino has faded away...leaving us with some more cold..thanks El..About the gauges...guy told me today... it is boiler quality glass that is actually machined to exact size..interesting...Thanks again for the good feed back

Take Care:-D
Dave

scottiemann 02-21-2007 05:30 PM

sounds like a great trick but does anyone have some pictures or can point me in the direction of a possible diagram....I need to see things sometimes to understand it fully....

Hawkrider 02-22-2007 07:48 AM

Check my site, bro. I have some pics, though I do not have the front cylinder line permanently installed.

superbling 02-22-2007 08:08 AM

On the put a "T" into the rear line mod, it's a great idea which makes synching MUCH easier and I did it about 2 years ago. Recently, bike began to run like crap; stumbled, wouldn't pull redline, sounded like on one cylinder, etc. Lots of trouble shooting, pulling tank/airbox/carbs, spending the better part of two days on it.

Ended up being the rubber plug on the "T" had weathered/cracked just enough to leak causing an intermitten fuel flow/shut off at the petcock. It's normally hidden by the left frame member so I was overlooking it. WORD.

Micah 06-21-2008 06:29 AM

Does anyone know the size of the adaptor for the vacuum lines for a carb sync? Is it 5mm or 6mm or am I way off?

Micah 06-21-2008 06:56 AM

Also what is the vent tube relocation?