SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Carb Slide Question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/carb-slide-question-30414/)

zanoj883 05-20-2013 07:46 PM

Carb Slide Question

Hey everyone,
After a carb cleaning i started hearing my carb slides chatter at idle when the engine is at operating temp. If i give it a little gas it goes away for a minute then starts again.

Is this something i should be worried about? Does it indicate something in there is failing i.e. the diaphragms?

im going to tear into the carbs this weekend to tune them and just need to know if i should order some new slides. Thanks All

8541Hawk 05-20-2013 08:07 PM

It's pretty common, so nothing to worry about. ;)

zanoj883 05-20-2013 08:14 PM

thanks hawk

kelowna1971 05-27-2013 06:54 PM

Is this a loud tapping that comes and goes at idle, that i tbought was loose cam chain from worn cct's.
Can carbs rattle/tap pretty loud?
Sounds like a lifter tap noise from old v8.

GlockPointer 05-27-2013 08:05 PM

I get the carb chatters now too but it's not louder than any of the other usual noises. If it doesn't hurt anything then I'm not going to worry.

8541Hawk 05-27-2013 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by kelowna1971 (Post 355798)
Is this a loud tapping that comes and goes at idle, that i tbought was loose cam chain from worn cct's.
Can carbs rattle/tap pretty loud?
Sounds like a lifter tap noise from old v8.

Yes normally it is. ;)

zanoj883 05-27-2013 09:30 PM

The slide noise sounds more like plastic on metal ( i guess cuz it is )
After following 8541HAWK's carb set up i dont get the noise anymore and it feels like a new bike. Im a little rich on the bottom end so im gona mess with them again this weekend.

Carb set up

8541Hawk 05-27-2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by zanoj883 (Post 355817)
The slide noise sounds more like plastic on metal ( i guess cuz it is )
After following 8541HAWK's carb set up i dont get the noise anymore and it feels like a new bike. Im a little lean on the bottom end so im gona mess with them again this weekend.

Carb set up

One reason is by plugging a lift hole, you have slowed the slide down so it is not slamming shut as hard.....at least on the front ;)

SIRR1 05-27-2013 09:45 PM

Carb slides

Did you pull the carburetor slides off the throttle cables on this lastcleaning / rebuild?

If so you may have accidentally mixed up the slides placing slide #1 into carburetor#2 and slide #2 into carburetor #1.

Carburetors due wear down over time from the violent amounts of air gettingpulled through them and the two carbs will wear differently and develop theirown patterns of wear to the point that one of the slides is loose in theunmatched set.

If you can live with the rattle the only hazard I can see from a situationlike this would be one of the slides sticking open when you back off thethrottle.

JMO / SIRR1

zanoj883 05-27-2013 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 355820)
One reason is by plugging a lift hole, you have slowed the slide down so it is not slamming shut as hard.....at least on the front ;)

Ya, your set up worked great. I forgot to remove the stock shim from the front needle so i think thats why im a little rich.

Originally Posted by SIRR1 (Post 355822)
Did you pull the carburetor slides off the throttle cables on this lastcleaning / rebuild?

If so you may have accidentally mixed up the slides placing slide #1 into carburetor#2 and slide #2 into carburetor #1.

Carburetors due wear down over time from the violent amounts of air gettingpulled through them and the two carbs will wear differently and develop theirown patterns of wear to the point that one of the slides is loose in theunmatched set.

If you can live with the rattle the only hazard I can see from a situationlike this would be one of the slides sticking open when you back off thethrottle.

JMO / SIRR1

I only do one carb at a time so not to mix things up;)

8541Hawk 05-27-2013 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by SIRR1 (Post 355822)

JMO / SIRR1

Umm CV carbs.....vacuum slides..... they bounce around at low RPM it's just how it is.

Throttle cables just go to the butterflies.

It causes no issues and happens even on new carbs and\or slides.

It is just a SH noise....;)

zxbud 05-31-2013 07:47 PM

Slide Clatter

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 355820)

Yes, this is what I noticed too. No more slide clatter when engine is cold and kanoodling up the hill in 1st gear. Engine responce is maybe a little soft at say 6krpm in 2d when snapping the throttle open but, who cares? I don't do much of that anyway.