SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Carb issue (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/carb-issue-23941/)

poppazuti 10-04-2010 12:14 AM

Carb issue

Fortunately it's not on the Hawk...it's on my newly acquired Bandit 1200. I have asked for suggestions on a Bandit forum to no avail so far, so I humbly ask for help from you guys.

I am in the process of cleaning the carbs and installing a jet kit. Previous owner left fuel in tank and did not drain float bowls. GUMMY...pilots were stuck, so I soaked them in Yamalube for about 2 days (they are recessed) and was able to remove 3 of them. Last one put up more of a fight and the slot got mashed up after my futile attempts to get it out. I have a jet kit on order and it should be in tomorrow, so further damaging the pilot is not a concern. Is drilling it out my only option? I don't want to ruin the channel the pilot screws into...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion and I apologize that this isn't a Superhawk specific problem, but I know we have quite a few talented wrenches on this forum ;)

E.Marquez 10-04-2010 05:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the one time a screw extractor will probable work out well. If you can place the carb locked tight under a drill press(if your drill press does reverse rotation) .. it would sure help ensure you get a straight shot at the jet and not bounce the tool off the carb body.

There is a newer style extractor that works really well.. Just removed a broken steel screw from an aluminum assembly last night.

Look at the craftsmen (or like brand) extractor https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1286195034

8541Hawk 10-04-2010 10:11 AM

A reverse drill bit might also work well in this situation if you don't have access to screw extractor.

poppazuti 10-04-2010 11:14 AM

I don't have access to a screw extractor but there's always reason to buy more tools... My only issue is it's only 1/8" diameter and about 1/4" from top to bottom of threads; I don't have that steady of a hand or much experience in this area.

The good news is that I was directed to a machine shop that the guys down at the Honda shop highly reccommended. I took it down there and the guy seemed confident he could do it. I hate having to pay for this stuff but I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

Thanks for the help guys.

thetophatflash 10-04-2010 12:02 PM

I might wash the carb off and warm the carb body in the oven. The difference in the expansion rates may allow you to use a left hand drill bit or a easy out to back it out rather easily.

E.Marquez 10-04-2010 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by poppazuti (Post 283126)
The good news is that I was directed to a machine shop that the guys down at the Honda shop highly recommended. I took it down there and the guy seemed confident he could do it. I hate having to pay for this stuff but I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

Thanks for the help guys.

:D I lived in Corvallis until 2005... 1: Nothing coming from Fred's Honda,, by way of advice should be considered good.. Any words spoken are done for one reason only... To separate you from as much money as possible, assisting or getting you a good deal has no part in the words spoken.
2: There are no good machine shops in Corvallis when I left.... perhaps it has changed.
3: I would not use a left hand drill bit on this application... as I think it will cut faster then you want it to. The advantage of the extractor like I posted is that it cuts, but much slower then a regular bit. A good machine shop operator will have that jet out in minutes.....

poppazuti 10-04-2010 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 283141)
:D I lived in Corvallis until 2005... 1: Nothing coming from Fred's Honda,, by way of advice should be considered good.. Any words spoken are done for one reason only... To separate you from as much money as possible, assisting or getting you a good deal has no part in the words spoken.
2: There are no good machine shops in Corvallis when I left.... perhaps it has changed.
3: I would not use a left hand drill bit on this application... as I think it will cut faster then you want it to. The advantage of the extractor like I posted is that it cuts, but much slower then a regular bit. A good machine shop operator will have that jet out in minutes.....

I have no idea of your experience at Fred's but having dealt with them for the last 11 yrs, I personally would have to disagree. I'm not saying I've never heard another negative thing about them but I've never had a bad experience with them. They've always given advice without the expectation of a purchase; they have allowed me access to their shop to troubleshoot along with their mechanic problems I was having with the hawk, free of charge. Other than the purchase of my Hawk from them 2 yrs ago and the jet kit they installed (not ready to jump into carb work at that time) I haven't made another purchase from them and I'm inside their store about once a month (more often when I have a project going on).

As far as the machinist comment, that remains to be seen I suppose. I've only had to deal with one other one and his work was great but it wasn't something quite as delicate. I feel confident if this guy feels he can't do it he'll let me know before he destroys my carb.

Not trying to start a pissing contest here and I understand no business can please every customer so I'm assuming your experience with them varied greatly from mine. Good to see someone else from Corvallis on here though:) Native or student?

VTRsurfer 10-04-2010 07:19 PM

I agree with Marquez about not using a left hand drill bit in this application since it would cut the brass too quickly without grabbing, which is the purpose (grabbing) of using that tool. I've used left hand drill bits successfully many times. But soaking, as you did, sounds like the best bet on this one. It may have taken a while longer, but live and learn. A lot of us have been through your experience, so I understand your frustration.

I had a student with a frozen secondary throttle shaft on a Hitachi carburetor on a Toyota many years ago. I advised him to soak the throttle body in WD40 over the weekend, and it worked. Some carefully applied heat can help as well...for future reference.

poppazuti 10-05-2010 09:31 AM

PILOT JET IS OUT!!!

Thanks for the advice everyone. The machinist was able to get it out and it took him all of 20 minutes... VTRSurfer, you're right about it being frustrating.

On the plus side, an hour after I brought the carbs home last night UPS delivered the jet kit, so everything is going back together today and hopefully I'll get to fire it up for the first time today. :)
And then begin the rest of the work (fork oil, fork seals, clutch/brake fluids, etc.) but it will be less bittersweet knowing the bike runs.

Thanks for coming through for me on a non Hawk issue, it really means a lot.

E.Marquez 10-05-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by poppazuti (Post 283168)
I have no idea of your experience at Fred's

I responded, but edited it out.. Times change, sales men come and go. If a current local is recommending a shop, a guy who lived there 5+ years ago should not have a dog in the fight.

Originally Posted by poppazuti (Post 283168)
Native or student?

Neither… Army guy, taught Military Leadership and Military Physical Fitness course for ROTC Military Science department, OSU.
My oldest son still lives there, both he and his GF go to school at OSU.. work in local eatery’s.

Very cool you got it all worked out.

poppazuti 10-05-2010 10:04 PM

UPDATE

While trying to install the jet kit today I found out why that pilot was so hard to get out...it had cross threaded at some point, and I assume whomever was putting it back in just kept cranking on it until it was seated. The other 3 went in without incident but when I got to the last one it would seat after a few turns. Looked into it with a flashlight and compared it to the others and a few threads from the pilot are still visible...:mad:

Good thing Suzuki liked this engine enough to use it on a couple different bikes, as a quick ebay search yielded a couple of good deals on used carbs. Oh well, who doesn't love a good project.

poppazuti 10-05-2010 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 283246)
I responded, but edited it out.. Times change, sales men come and go. If a current local is recommending a shop, a guy who lived there 5+ years ago should not have a dog in the fight.

Having lived here you probably know the frustration with the limited local resources regarding motorcycles. As I live in South town, Fred's is literally the closest shop for me, and having 3 little one's a trip to Salem or Eugene to go to Cycle Sports usually is not an option. The other nearest option is some guy in Philomath who has done some work for me on my ZX7.

I moved here from Phoenix and was blown away at how many motorcycles are on the road, yet so few shops. I wrecked my EX500 in Phoenix and it took less than a week to source ALL the parts I needed to get it back on the road and it was all done locally.

And if you ever find yourself back here visiting your kid, send me a message. Both McMennamins are still open and everyone can agree that they've got good beer.

RWhisen 10-06-2010 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by poppazuti (Post 283341)
.....Both McMennamins are still open and no one can disagree that they've got good beer.

Is there bad beer?

poppazuti 10-06-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 283354)
Is there bad beer?

whoops! Even thought about that after I shut the cpu down last night...
Edited now.