SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Carb Cleaning Question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/carb-cleaning-question-32567/)

bpw 09-19-2014 08:55 AM

Carb Cleaning Question

Hey all Im turning to the forum for some help. Ive got the carbs off the bike and realized Ive done tons of EFI stuff but know nothing about carburetors so here I am. Can anyone give me a quick breakdown on how to go about cleaning them really good?

Bike wont stay running after sitting for a few months so Im starting here. Itll start run for a 10-15 seconds then die.

05 vtr in case

RoadManiac 09-26-2014 09:25 AM

for a good carb cleaning theres 2 ways

- cheap way : take everything off the carbs and soak in some solvent i use like cleaning petrol with additives make sure everything is covered so every thing is full of it, then put on the washing machine let it run your dirty laundry then soak overnight or few ours what ever you want, then blast everything with brake cleaner and or compressed air

expsensive way -
take it to a shop with a ultrasonic bath and pay them some amount
then blast everything as stated above
this is only neccasary if you let your bike sit 2 years with petrol on the bowls and everything is green and the gas is gone bad

then a carb synch

CrankenFine 09-26-2014 09:49 AM

Be sure to separate all the rubber parts from the carbs if you're usign a powerful spray solvent. Also pay close attention to what you remove from front carb vs rear carb as some parts are NOT interchangeable. For this reason I did mine separately and put each back together before moving on to the next. Take your time, relax, you don't win anything for doing it fast.:cool:

Crystafin 10-23-2018 12:21 AM

First time carb breakdown

I’m similarly looking into a cleaning for my bike(2001 VTR1000F). Previous owner put serious work into it after his friend dumped it. Smashed fairings, dent in front fork, scratched tank etc(allegedly at +-7 mph).
He installed new jets, several mech components on left side eg shifter.

long story short it runs like a demon above 5k rpms but everything less there’s backfires, sputtering and (half-firing?) where the engine hardly puts out but combustion can be heard.

After lots of review it seems like carb rebuild could be a good first step and I’m broke as can be after buying the bike so I’m working on cheap. Would love important points and absolute no-nos so I don’t ruin the beautiful thing. I am mechanically inclined, fully self-taught.

please help.

Wicky 10-23-2018 03:06 AM

Look at the Carb Set up stickied thread by 8541Hawk at the top.

Check that exhaust hasn't air leaks, plugs and airfilter are what's recommended and servicable. and that fuel tap diaphram and vacuum hose are all intact and correct.

Some folk try to tune it like an IL4 but the VTR V2 is sensitve to hamfisted changes.

smokinjoe73 10-23-2018 06:20 AM

Not sure if this was linked but this is some info https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/

Crystafin 10-23-2018 09:13 AM

All awesome input thanks a lot. I’ll be checking into this over the next few days as time permits.

flyin_hawk 10-23-2018 12:30 PM

I just cleaned mine. It was full of gunk and varnish; the front carb in particular. Mine were actually leaking which prompted the clean out. One of my floats was stuck and the needle valve wasn’t seating causing the gas to overflow. Keep track of all the lines as there are a lot and they’re removed at different stages. Take lots of pictures and don’t let the project sit for a few weeks, otherwise you’ll start to forget how to put it all back together.

Not to hijack your thread but does anyone out there know which direction is on for the fuel shutoff valve? I’ve taken the tank off so many times without getting it running I don’t know where I started ��.