Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Installed Aftermarket Fuel Filters - Now have asymmetrical flow

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Squid

NoCoHawk is on a distinguished road
Installed Aftermarket Fuel Filters - Now have asymmetrical flow

Hi y'all. My 1998 hawk was experiencing telltale signs of a bad diaphragm in the petcock. So I bought a newer petcock housing, and a new rebuild kit. I also decided to throw on some wix inline fuel filters since I just cleaned the tank. Also, my bike was missing the internal fuel screen inside the tank when I bought it.

Here is the conundrum. Gasoline will only flow to the left side fuel hose, and not the right side. The left side fuel filter gets full of gas, while the right side receives a trickle. What's going on?

Right side

Left side
Old 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Position of fuel line? I've not run fuel filters on my Superhawk, but when I did on my race bikes, I found that big filters were not the answer. I went to small filters with a filtering "stone" that could be replaced. Always seemed to have fueling issues with the large diameter ones.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:37 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Go OEMish

I use the aftermarket fuel filters for the old carbureted Honda GL1200 Goldwing, first made by Emgo and how Custom Chrome. I change them every 24 months or 24, 000 miles whichever comes first with no issues in maybe 15 years, knock on plastic...
Old 04-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Is this happening with a running engine? You may find that when you run it they will both fill and flow.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
I use the aftermarket fuel filters for the old carbureted Honda GL1200 Goldwing, first made by Emgo and how Custom Chrome. I change them every 24 months or 24, 000 miles whichever comes first with no issues in maybe 15 years, knock on plastic...
Indeed, I have put large diameter fuel filters on a lot of customer bikes, and my own bikes. Only have had problems on bikes that are, 'ahem' ridden very aggressively.